Power Sweet Slant Six 1971

-
That's pretty interesting.

That is just a mish/mash of parts that are over priced, and not thought out.
Cardone reman dist= junk
Petronics kit= is not needed with the above dist. it is used when converting from points
Carb= OK
Offie intake=OK
Hooker headers= ok, but Clifford shorties, are cheaper, and just as good on a street car
Exhaust kit= pricey and you still need to get it welded. Probably better to have a custom exhaust shop do the complete job.
Offie linkage kit= I never did figure out how it hooks up.
Wires= probably OK

There are better ways to spend over $2,000 on a slant six, and get better results.

Lots of $ when still handi-capped by low compression and weak camshaft. I've been waiting almost 60 years (yes, since a baby) for someone to develop a 'cross-flow' head - with 1.78/1.50 valves - as should fit into 3.4" bore size. But, alas, LTOP has been gone for 30 years. (sigh)

Some people would ruin a wet dream. How many complete performance packages have you seen for a slant? At least they are trying. Put one together yourself if you think you can do better and offer a better price.

You would get a bigger power increase, by spending about $1500 on a head, $2-300 on a super six setup, and $400 on the exhaust. While the head is off, could do a reground cam and lifters, for about $120, if you want. Probably double the increase of the Summit kit.

You would get a bigger power increase, by spending about $1500 on a head, $2-300 on a super six setup, and $400 on the exhaust. While the head is off, could do a reground cam and lifters, for about $120, if you want. Probably double the increase of the Summit kit.

I don't disagree. But which is worse? Not having anything like this available, or them "getting it wrong" In "your" opinion? Or better yet, let me pose this question. Will the above package add power to a slant, or not?

In the end, there's always a better way to do something.

I don't disagree. But which is worse? Not having anything like this available, or them "getting it wrong" In "your" opinion? Or better yet, let me pose this question. Will the above package add power to a slant, or not?

In the end, there's always a better way to do something.

"In my opinion"
It is worse getting it wrong. It would be better to not have it. Everything they list is available, but the "package" is all wrong.
It will probably add power, but not any where near enough to justify the cost.
Look at how many people on this site knock the slant six, saying they can get more power from a V-8, then from the slant, for the same amount of money. Packages like this prove them right (actually they are right, anyway, but that is not the point).

How about if Summit had a "kit" to install a Cummins diesel, in a "A" Body, with no up grades to the brakes, or suspension? Would it be better to have that, then not have it at all?
How about a super charger kit, for a small block, that puts out 40 psi boost, with no boost regulator?
If your going to do it, and sell it, I say do it right.
Most anyone thinking about buying the Summit slant kit, are not really well versed on what works for/on a slant, and would be dissapointed, after spending all that money, and haveing a good running stock 318, out perform their slant.

Maybe you should write to Summit. Send them some pictures of some of your slant six race trophies...you know......let them know your credentials in that area. I would suspect you are probably one of if not the best slant racer in the country. Not necessarily the fastest, mind you, but the best. I don't think anyone would try to argue with that. Offer to rearrange the package into something better. They could call it "The Charlie_S Package". They could even include a copy of your race history with every package sold........and maybe give you some royalties. Wouldn't that be cool?

"In my opinion"
It is worse getting it wrong. It would be better to not have it. Everything they list is available, but the "package" is all wrong.
It will probably add power, but not any where near enough to justify the cost.
Look at how many people on this site knock the slant six, saying they can get more power from a V-8, then from the slant, for the same amount of money. Packages like this prove them right (actually they are right, anyway, but that is not the point).

How about if Summit had a "kit" to install a Cummins diesel, in a "A" Body, with no up grades to the brakes, or suspension? Would it be better to have that, then not have it at all?
How about a super charger kit, for a small block, that puts out 40 psi boost, with no boost regulator?
If your going to do it, and sell it, I say do it right.
Most anyone thinking about buying the Summit slant kit, are not really well versed on what works for/on a slant, and would be dissapointed, after spending all that money, and haveing a good running stock 318, out perform their slant.

-
Back