power to manual steering - pitman arm interchange

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
I'm converting my '71 Dart swinger with power steering to manual using a Flaming River box.

Can I keep my current pitman arm or do I have to get a different one? it's my understanding that up to '72, all the sectors were the same size whether power or manual.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,

- Greg

I know the were the same in 67,68, but I dont know what year they changed.
Some pitman arms load to the drglink from top down and others from the bottom up. I dont know when those changed or if both ends of pitman arms were changed in the same year. Good luck

Greg,

I installed a Flamming River 16:1 manual steering box (FR1540) and purchased a new large sector pitman arm from Mancini Racing (Moog K7075), this is the pitman arm for the 73-76 A body. It attaches to the centerlink from the top.

Greg,

I installed a Flamming River 16:1 manual steering box (FR1540) and purchased a new large sector pitman arm from Mancini Racing (Moog K7075), this is the pitman arm for the 73-76 A body. It attaches to the centerlink from the top.

Thanks for the reply. I just called Mancini actually - the guy on the phone said I should be OK with my current arm since the change was from '73-up.

We'll see I guess. If it doesn't fit, guess I'll be buying more parts! Hope not though.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Doh! From the Flaming River website:

"...All New Mopar Replacement Manual Steering Box (Fits later years by changing the pitman arm) designed for the early Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth. This steel box is much stronger than the original and quicker ratio (16:1)"

Excellent upgrade i put the Flaming River box and coupling on the duster.3 years ago when the motor was out..much better control of the car,and it took 36 lbs off the front end from the p.s. setup..:cheers:

Excellent upgrade i put the Flaming River box and coupling on the duster.3 years ago when the motor was out..much better control of the car,and it took 36 lbs off the front end from the p.s. setup..:cheers:

Yeah, I'm psyched to put this on. Power steering is for grandma.

-
Back