Power wagon pinion angles

-

gilberttitan08

Mexican Hillbilly!!!
Reaction score
Hey guys, got questions on 4x4 pinion angles, doing a slant 6 turbo set up on my truck with divorced transfer case. I got the pinion angle from the output yoke of the transfer case to the rear diff yoke dead on, give or take 2 degree difference. Now, does the transmission yoke to the input yoke of the transfer case have to be the same as well? I'm trying to cancel out future vibrations as much as possible. How much angle can my center drive shaft (transmission to transfer case 14" drive line) have? Cause it has 12 degrees, I appreciate any advice I can get.

Hey guys, got questions on 4x4 pinion angles, doing a slant 6 turbo set up on my truck with divorced transfer case. I got the pinion angle from the output yoke of the transfer case to the rear diff yoke dead on, give or take 2 degree difference. Now, does the transmission yoke to the input yoke of the transfer case have to be the same as well? I'm trying to cancel out future vibrations as much as possible. How much angle can my center drive shaft (transmission to transfer case 14" drive line) have? Cause it has 12 degrees, I appreciate any advice I can get.
12 degrees to me, seems like a lot between a divorced t-case and a transmission, albeit a short distance. When we were messing with 4x4s and mud trucks, we always tried to keep the divorced t-case driveline under 3 degrees and used a high angle CV joint on custom shafts for the front and rear.

12 degrees to me, seems like a lot between a divorced t-case and a transmission, albeit a short distance. When we were messing with 4x4s and mud trucks, we always tried to keep the divorced t-case driveline under 3 degrees and used a high angle CV joint on custom shafts for the front and rear.
ok, so. I will have to raise my transfer case cross member up to line up the two yokes, thank you.

Last edited:
Is the vehicle jacked up? If so consider custom shafts with a constant velocity joint in the shaft(s) These are different than what you might find for steering on a front wheel drive vehicle but work essentially the same

157A03drvshft_w_txt.jpg

The idea of pinion angles is SIMPLE. "Under full acceleration" the crank centerline and the pinion centerline should be PARALLEL

What Del said. keep all angles equal and opposite, that way the crank/transfer case shaft/pinions stay parallel. small angles you can get away with. larger angles beg for a CV joint to minimize vibration. CV drivelines can get pricey. with 12 degrees over such a short distance, check for binding regardless of shaft used.

So, I got this bad metal on metal rattling coming from the rear, I jacked up my truck and ran it up to speed and I get this really bad metal rattle sound. It happens on 1,2, and 3 at 1600-2000 rpm, once I remove the rear drive shaft and run it up to speed, it's gone. Bad pinion angle? My transfer case yoke is at 90* and my rear pinion angle is at 87*. I'm getting really frustrated here.

Last edited:
So, I got this bad metal on metal rattling coming from the rear, I jacked up my truck and ran it up to speed and I get this really bad metal rattle sound. It happens on 1,2, and 3 at 16-2000 rpm, once I remove the drive shaft and run it up to speed, it's gone. Bad pinion angle? My transfer case is at 90* and my rear pinion angle is at -3*. I'm getting really frustrated here.
What do you mean it's at 90 degrees?!? The driveshaft angle?!?

No, I'm sorry, transfer case yoke is 90* rear axle pinion angle is 87* down. My driveshaft angle is 12*

Sorry but that does not make sense

90 pinion you must be measuring vertically, that would 0 or 180

87 "down" would be 3 degrees from horizontal, or to put it "negative 3". That means the angle BETWEEN THE TWO is 3 and that is the end of the story........

So either you mistated the measurements or ???

Where are you getting 12 degrees? In reference to what?

Are you measuring the 90 and 87 in relation to "plumb" level?

87 "down" would be 3 degrees from horizontal, or to put it "negative 3". That means the angle BETWEEN THE TWO is 3 and that is the end of the story........

Oh this^

I totally did misstated, I'm sorry. I'm just frustrated. My transfer case is yokes are 0* (-/+ 1*) my axle yoke is -2 (-/+ 1*) my rear drive shaft between axle and transfer case is at a 12* angle.

-
Back