PowerSteering?

-

one1dk

Reaction score
Hi.
I´ve been told, that I have to get a manual steering for my Plymouth Barracuda if I swap to a Hemi, and want to mount TTI headers. Are there any alternatives so I can keep my powersteering as it is? If the answer to that question is NO - how much do I have to buy? Manual steering box, steeringcollum?? I dont know if the power and manual collum is the same..

Thanks

Eivin

There is another thread aout power steering here...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=66690

From what I understand it wont work, from m experience with a body headers in general, manual steering is much better for clearance, if the TTI stuff says manual steering, I would plan on doing just that.

Fir the swap you have a few options, Manual box will bolt directly to the K member, and Pitman ARM, but the factory Power column is shorter by a inch or two. So find a column also, or use a adapter.

Firm Feel has them for sale that use the factory rag joint, or Flaming River makes a adapter that uses a small universal joint that gives a bit more clearance. They both cost...

Hope that helps.

JOE

Thanks Joe.. Firm feel is the place to get it from.. $129 :) ... Mopar parformance allso got it, but they want more than $200 for the same part! :S

Clearance is super tight with TTI headers and manual steering. I am using a flaming river box and 73+ style steering linkage. I tried moving the engine and trans slightly in many directions, and it doesn't seem to help much. A gain in one place is a loss in another. Hopefully I won't find the extra steering effort to be more than my wife is willing to put up with.

In addition to the adapter for power to manual you may need a different pitman arm since there are two different shaft sizes.

DSC03396.JPG

clearance.JPG

clearance2.JPG

Can anybody attest to whether the clearance is any better with the pre-73 centerlink setup? I bought a new 73+ K member to put in my car for the spool mounts since my current one appears to most likely be a /6 that got spool mounts welded to it in a less than appealing way. I was hoping to keep the pitman arm off of my current 67 gearbox and get a new 68-72 idler for the n K frame when I go for a hemi swap and put in manual steering (power now).

-
Back