Powertrax Lock Right

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Anyone using the Powertrax Lock Right locker in their car. It's intended for 4x4 trucks but they will fit in a car diff. What's the down side to them? The literature says they have a slight click when turning. I could live with that if it is just slight.

I have used them in a 4x4 (front and rear). I could honestly drive up a 90 degree, ice covered, mudbank that had just been greased…….. Well…. Not really but it did get around awesome.

In 2wd it banged and clicked. It's not something I would use in a dedicated street car. In fact, I removed the rear locker when I stopped wheeling and started using the rig primarily on the street.

It is not what i would call "slight".

its more then slight.. i have one in my amx and people think the rear is broke when i turn out of gas station or anywhere.... they do work good though. i can do donuts and posi marks like no tomorrow

I could barely hear it over the exhaust.

The Lock-Rite makes noise.

If they offer a "Powertrax" they redesigned it with a ring so that when the wheels are turning different speeds, it rides on this ring/ridge and does not click. It will give a small click or 2 once you get back straight as the locking mechanism engages.

You have to remove the ring gear to install on an 8 3/4. Reverse bolts hold the ring gear to carrier. Remove the cross pin, spider gears, and install the 4 pieces that make up the lock right. Patience with the springs. You need to run the 2" spacer dealymabobber (technical term) that goes inbetween the axles and over the center pin.

Good bang for the buck.

Bobscuda67- I have had a Lock Rite in my '65 Valiant (built 360, 727, 8 3/4) for
over 2 years and 10K miles. Unless you like to have a heavy foot going around
corners in town it is very streetable.

I could barely hear it over the exhaust.

The Lock-Rite makes noise.

If they offer a "Powertrax" they redesigned it with a ring so that when the wheels are turning different speeds, it rides on this ring/ridge and does not click. It will give a small click or 2 once you get back straight as the locking mechanism engages.

You have to remove the ring gear to install on an 8 3/4. Reverse bolts hold the ring gear to carrier. Remove the cross pin, spider gears, and install the 4 pieces that make up the lock right. Patience with the springs. You need to run the 2" spacer dealymabobber (technical term) that goes inbetween the axles and over the center pin.

Good bang for the buck.

Good to know. I have been wanting something in my 4Runner. If they make one without (or limited) "Bang" I will be checking it out.

no bang just the click click around corners at slow speeds with mine. I'm used to it now and it lays good rubber from both tires. :-D

wonder why everyone else's is so quiet, i have one in my amc 20 rear and its loud. i know its set up right. It mostly clicks but sometimes on a hard 90 turn up hill where i need power it clicks then bangs in loud when it engages.

I know it lays rubber from both all the time... and can do donuts as ease..
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct8juw3wgN0"]YouTube - amx[/ame]

Got a lock-rite: it makes more of a klunk in mine while turning, with the "street" springs in it. It's adjustable by means of springs, and I didn't put the harsher "race" springs in. God knows how it'd be with those..
The real interesting thing is at freeway speeds on interchange ramps. If you get on the gas at all in a turn, the car unsettles and wants to go straight into the retaining wall. Exciting! But damn no more one-legger burnouts EVER :snakeman:
Worth the $260 it cost at the time.

Got a lock-rite: it makes more of a klunk in mine while turning, with the "street" springs in it. It's adjustable by means of springs, and I didn't put the harsher "race" springs in. God knows how it'd be with those..
The real interesting thing is at freeway speeds on interchange ramps. If you get on the gas at all in a turn, the car unsettles and wants to go straight into the retaining wall. Exciting! But damn no more one-legger burnouts EVER :snakeman:
Worth the $260 it cost at the time.
They are a little over 400 bucks now a days......how long ago did you get yours? I know this is an old thread and also know that you haven't been on since July of 2016 but you may see this eventually.....

They are a little over 400 bucks now a days......how long ago did you get yours? I know this is an old thread and also know that you haven't been on since July of 2016 but you may see this eventually.....
it wouldn`t hold my 406 sbc vega w/ 14x 32 slicks, had to replace it w/ a full spool!

it wouldn`t hold my 406 sbc vega w/ 14x 32 slicks, had to replace it w/ a full spool!
Assuming you're using the 14 x 32's for a good reason (other than for looks :D), using the Powertrax on something like that is something I wouldn't even consider doing....

-
Back