Powetrax lock right issues

-

TimDart

Reaction score
Just had this fitted to my 8.75 rear;
http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/lockright2.html

It clanks going round corners and as i straighten it gives off quite a bang. No probs going in a straight line. I'm new to LSDs (no jokes) so not sure what to expect.

Its pretty basic and having looked more closely at the Richmond gear website i might have selcted the race/strip version.

Wonder if you engineer types could check the link and give me an opinion?

That's what's considered a locker, not a limited slip. That noise is normal for this type of diff. :) It's great for racing but not so much fun in the city.

TimDart. I have a Richmond Full Locker in my '65 Valiant (360, 727, 8 3/4).
If you drive it like an open rear around corners you'll have that problem. Just
have a heavy foot on the straights. In the instructions I received with mine these very issues were noted. LML (love my locker).

Aaah! Thanks guys. Looks like i clicked on the wrong item when i bought it! wasn't looking for something quite so agricultural.
Besides the clacking going 'round corners, is it normal to have a bit of a bang as i hit the gas as i straighten out?
Goes fine in a straight line and chirps the tyres thru gear changes without effort.

This is my first experience with an lsd/locker of any kind so any advice/commentary appreciated as ever.

Lockers like yours have springs and gears instead of springs and clutchs in a limited slip. That is why it pops and bangs. When you hear the bang it is locking the gears. They are great for going in a straight line because there is no slipping to the wheels. I am installing a detroit locker in mine this winter. I can live with the noise. I think they are cool.

I had one in my Dart when I first got it finished retored and I hated the noise. I pulled it out 1 month later and installed a Sure Grip. I was a great unit if you wanted to pull a burnout and have both tires lockup equally the same, but on the street it was a noisy sucker and everytime I would take the car to a local cruise and pull in, people would come up and tell me that there is something wrong with my car because they heard this loud noise coming from the rearend. I got tired of explaining and also the noise.

Aaah! Thanks guys. Looks like i clicked on the wrong item when i bought it! wasn't looking for something quite so agricultural.
Besides the clacking going 'round corners, is it normal to have a bit of a bang as i hit the gas as i straighten out?
Goes fine in a straight line and chirps the tyres thru gear changes without effort.

This is my first experience with an lsd/locker of any kind so any advice/commentary appreciated as ever.

Yep, that bang is normal as it locks the axles.

Have you thought about the Eaton Truetrac? It's helical gear limited slip with no clutches and can infinitely vary traction.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produ...ducts/Differentials/DetroitTruetrac/index.htm

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4302901886234298355#

Clicking / Ratcheting is normal with this traction device. The "Powertrax" has a raised ring that prevents the noise, but the until will click in once or once it straightens.

'back to Basic' you mention a raised ring, not sure i recognise that description from the diagram of the parts (in top of this thread), also the unit doesnt so much click as make a very audible clack, clack around corners.

I wlil be testing it some more today as I only ran it for a short while so far.

Must say, despite its excellent locking characteristics, I would have preffered an Eaton unit or suregrip if i'd known just how aggressive the current unit is!

well, after an hours driving including town, country and highway i'm a lot happier. The locker is aggressive/loud when cruising around corners,but as soon as i step on the gas the tires chirp and the car takes off

i reckon i can live with it for a while, just a shame that new diff whines on the over run (i'll do a separate thread), but the 3.55 ration is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=licClmcNXQM

Hopefully the above link shows the locker in brief action!

-
Back