Pray for our Florida FABO friends

-
@RAT ROD AL

So glad you all are ok.

Hopefully you will find the damage to be minimal.

If you need anything that I can send you let me know. I can buy them locally and ship them to you, I imagine some products will be in short supply there.

I went on a mission. trip to Panama City about 4 years ago and tearing all the drywall and insulation is a mess. It will double bad for you not being able to drive your truck up to it, I feel for you and wish I could be of help, Joe

Glad you and others are doing ok. I saw some of the photos from your area. Lots of rebuilding and cleanup will have to be done. It'll be slow to happen until the roads get cleared and the power gets turned on. Losing electricity sucks.

There are some quality photos on NPR.ORG/photos show the destruction...... Including a picture of an orange superbird flipped upside down, a herd of boats on peoples' lawns, mobile homes in a pile, etc. My guess is that most of the damage was caused by water pushing and floating stuff inland. In most photos the buildings still had their shingles, but there were some harder hit areas.

1664621564353.png

@RAT ROD AL

So glad you all are ok.

Hopefully you will find the damage to be minimal.

If you need anything that I can send you let me know. I can buy them locally and ship them to you, I imagine some products will be in short supply there.

These clean 55 gallon food grade drums would be handy for Al to haul fresh water with to his place while he is rebuilding.

Sure the water supply there is going to be questionable for some time yet until the infrastructure gets rebuilt.

20221001_093809.jpg

Not sure how true , but we just heard the Governor or some other official declared Pine Island un in habitable due to the infrastructure is totally wiped out. And they will evaluate the population there. We are still trying to go back ,but no luck yet. May be a total loss. To be continued ! Good luck to others affected.

Governor Desantis Update on Hurricane Recovery.

They have lots of things going.

Bringing back power, communications, starlink internet mobile hot spots, mobile temporary cell towers, fuel, food, water and meals. Clearing and shoring up roads.

Well orchestrated effort, 20 million donated by individuals to state for recovery efforts besides what federal FEMA is going to pick up. Special unemployment assistance for people and businesses affected by the storm.

No goofing around, they are going to work.

Screenshot_20221001-194807_Firefox.jpg

Electric POWER Restoration in Florida from 9.29.22 to 10.1.22

Huge percentage of power back on. Electric power companies with trucks assisting from 30 states.

Fastest power restoration after a hurricane in history. Florida has invested In hardening their power grid infrastructures, and it was smart business to invest in it for this very type of event.

Sept. 29th 2022: customers down
Screenshot_20221001-211014_Gallery.jpg

Oct.1st 2022 customers down,
coming back online.
Screenshot_20221001-211314_Firefox.jpg

Huge improvements in just a few days.

Electric POWER Restoration in Florida from 9.29.22 to 10.1.22

Huge percentage of power back on. Electric power companies with trucks assisting from 30 states.

Fastest power restoration after a hurricane in history. Florida has invested In hardening their power grid infrastructures, and it was smart business to invest in it for this very type of event.

Sept. 29th 2022: customers down
View attachment 1715992863

Oct.1st 2022 customers down,
coming back online.
View attachment 1715992864

Huge improvements in just a few days.
Yea we are pretty good at this hell in 2004 we had 4 hurricanes that year 3 thru the main part of the state and 1 in the panhandle and then there was Andrew that tore up the southern tip of the state. We have lots of practice I have always said I would rather see these storms hit Florida because we are best prepared for them, they go other places and cause much greater destruction because of terrain and soil type a in the case of New Orleans just plain unpreparedness. But that being said yea it looks pretty bad down there, I hope the death toll is not as bad as they have said it might be.

Just think about what you have good on the property yet:

For starters you have a good boat there with the salt water 2 cycle outboard. Just think the boat probably floated up on the trailer as the water rose, to help keep the top of the engine from getting submerged, so that is probably good yet.

You own the lot, with city water and sewer, and electrical hookup. Your building structures stood up with their roofs in tact, that's a big one. You have that new cement Slab under your house that is not going anywhere.

Your spot there was somewhat protected so it was more an issue of water vs the high winds getting to it and beating the crap out of everything. Being your boat is pretty much where you left it can attest to this.

From everything I am seeing the Draw Bridge for the main road to the mainland at Matlache is still up and functioning, but the approach to the bridge is what washed out, that can be back filled and topcoated again with a new bridge approach relatively quickly.

There is lots of money, resources, skilled people, Army Core of Engineers, equipment, and public officials going to work to make this happen and get road access back to Pine Island again (St. James City).

Draw Bridge at Matlache still good.

Screenshot_20221001-193556_Firefox.jpg

Pine Island Road:
(easier to rebuild than a washed out draw bridge).

Screenshot_20221001-193644_Firefox.jpg

So yeah, it is the road that washed out not the bridge.

The way they are moving along with things, let's hope they get the road fixed and get the traffic flowing back to Pine Island again soon.

If Al has a friend on the mainland with a boat...

Maybe they could go asses the damage, and get Al's boat if operable.

Then he could theoretically come and go as he pleases, provided he could find a mainland dock to use.

Maybe pickup a couple of bicycles and a wagon?

@RAT ROD AL

Last edited:
Gov. Desantis Latest Recovery Update :

Desantis is talking he knows about the access to the mainland roads from Sanibel Island and Pine Island have been washed out, and stated they are going to fix those but that they are going to take time.

In the mean time they are allowing boats to shuttle things back and forth and air lifting for things too, as they have lots of aircraft helicopters that were brought in for that very purpose.

Screenshot_20221002-134702_Gallery.jpg

Good News
The Road Repair to Pine Island from the mainland, is scheduled for this week and to be completed by this Saturday October 8th.

Connecting access from St. James City back to the mainland.

Screenshot_20221002-214621_Firefox.jpg

Rat Rod Al was able to get out to his property (by boat) on Pine Island / St. James City and started clearing the Palm tree overhang and debris (4 hours work) at his back yard building where he is setting up Base Camp.

No power or water, although he was able to fire up his generator even after being submerged, so he is now making power.

Support people are bringing in drinking water and lots of food.

Governor Desantis was saying the road will be repaired by this coming weekend, as the big dump trucks are hauling In crushed concrete road base right now.

Screenshot_20221004-053700_Firefox.jpg

Great news, it will be a long exhausting cleanup I am sure. But knowing Al and Theresa they won't sit around and wait for someone to do it for them. Wish I was closer to pitch in, Joe

What is the area you are traveling to, so you can shore up your storm damaged home in Florida?

Last edited by a moderator:
-
Back