Pre 1970 timing cover???

-

wolfhammer

Reaction score
Does anyone make a pre 70 timing cover with the timing tab on the passenger side? I checked many places but all seem to be the later 70 and up style.

Best bet is in the want ads, swap meet or ebay.

Stock LA for 1969

7.8.68 block

IMG_20181228_123214.jpg

Last edited:
I think '69s, maybe LATE '68s, were the only ones to have a cast-in timing scale. Most '68s and everything before that were bare and used a bolt-on timing tab.
1704826057901.png

I don't know of anyone reproducing the early timing cover, with or without the timing marks.
Don't worry about it though, if you need an early one, just use the late one with a bolt-on tab. The driver's side marks will be hidden by the early water pump inlet anyway. The TCs are the same other than the timing marks, or lack thereof.

Does anyone make a pre 70 timing cover with the timing tab on the passenger side? I checked many places but all seem to be the later 70 and up style.
Not as far as I know. Mopar made a replacement cover for the early '68 and older models, and the '70 and newer, but, the late '68-69 wasn't reproduced by anyone that I know of.

I run a 1970 and later reproduction timing cover with a '68 and earlier bolt on tab. I also had to remark the reproduction balancer timing marks too. It works fine and I get the benefits of a new timing cover (no stripped holes other damage etc)

And don't forget to re-mark TDC on the harmonic balancer like 340sFastback mentioned- if you're running a late damper. If you've got an early damper you're good to go.

-
Back