Pre 73 hood on with 73 up front end.

-

player1up

Reaction score
I had one of those late night, sleep deprived ideas while passing through the garage last night so bear with me:

Has anyone added a point to a 70-72 duster hood to make the front profile match the 73-76 grill? Now this may seem a little "wack" but if you added some sheet metal to the smooth hood so that the front edge matched the grill/bumper and took the hump off of the middle of the grill to make it flat on top, What would that look like?....

I think I've spent too much time looking at the blue missile. :lol: or not enough time sleeping.

It's more then just the point you'd have to blend, the 70-72 hoods are straight (horizontally) also, the 73 and newer have a contour following the headlight bezel also, some grill (filler/mods) would also be required.

It's more then just the point you'd have to blend, the 70-72 hoods are straight (horizontally) also, the 73 and newer have a contour following the headlight bezel also, some grill (filler/mods) would also be required.

Ok, so instead of removing the hump in the middle of the grill, add to the dips on each side...hmmm

Go get some more sleep. LOL

um, yeah, not gonna happen :)

What is the point? Why waste a good '70-'72 hood? I've got a good '73 hood if you're that desperate.

Player1,
get some sleep. I'm very flattered. I think the 70-72 look with the shark tooth grill is VERY cool. Thats what my buddy Jimmy had.
Andrew

What is the point? Why waste a good '70-'72 hood? I've got a good '73 hood if you're that desperate.

Well, It's not really a point of desperation, just one of curiosity, like why to people like the pre 73 front end? is it because of the flat hood or the flat front end or ?? I'm kinda partial to the 73-6 front but still open to ideas ( like that custom grill thread )

Player1,
get some sleep. I'm very flattered. I think the 70-72 look with the shark tooth grill is VERY cool. Thats what my buddy Jimmy had.
Andrew

Sometimes I think out of the box, but sometimes I hit my head on the way out and strange ideas ensue :lol:

Oh well, maybe just a strange idea is all it will ever be, and I'm sure it's not my last but what about this.........

73_plymouth_duster_54709.jpg

73_plymouth_duster_54709_w72 front_final.JPG

is it doable? yes. would it be a heck of a lot of work? yes.
I'm looking at it thinking it looks a lot like a dart sport hood.

I have a friend who did something similar to his aspen and it never was quite right. He wasn't a body guy though so who knows what would happen.

Well this was one of those "what if" threads anyway :)

It does look odd... and I'm not even sure what to think after messing with the pic

I've been thinking about the same thing, only using a Barracuda hood and upper grille surround (and yes I know the flat hood on '69 Barracudas was shared with later Darts).

-
Back