Pre-soliciting Introduction

-

krytellan

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just came into possession of a '80 Volare wagon, which I know belongs in the F body talk. However, it has a 225 /6 with 85k miles and I am pumped. I have always heard tales of their legendary endurance and reliability, and to get one in the body of a wagon that looks no more than 10 years old is a bonus.

I am going through the initial phase of cleaning her up. You know how it is. I don't care when plugs, wires, etc were changed, I want to know exactly what's in there. I'm in process of cleaning up the top end and the wonders never cease. The oil leaks can be explained by the fact that all of the bottom valve cover bolts were barely hand tight. Carburetor was loose at the base, calibration of the choke is questionable, and the hose to the charcoal canister was simply hanging loose. Who does these things?

At any rate, I'm about to tackle the valve lash adjustment as it seems clear it has never been done and there's a chatter party in there when running. I bought 12' of fuel hose to replace the one that literally snapped in my hand. Can you ever have too much fuel line lying around?

So, before I start asking all of these questions around the forum, I want to take the time to introduce myself. I was always a GM guy as a teen and young adult. The flagship of the fleet is the beautiful, all original 96k mile 1976 Lincoln Mark IV, Emilio Pucci edition. She is my time capsule. The Volare will be the fun car that I'm not afraid to modify in ways I deem to be interesting. Firstly the stereo. I didn't know they made single speaker stereo systems in 1980!

Anyway, hey there!

Thanks! No pics yet. Didn't want to catch her with her pants down. Once she's back together and out of the garage I'm gonna snap a few pics.

Yeah pics or it don't exist. lol We're a tough crowd. Welcome aboard.

Welcome to the slanted party!

Do some searching and reading about your engine. Then read some more. A '80 slant would be a hydraulic cam (I think) so I would suggest reading up on the cut-off year for solid to hydraulic. If it's ticking and a hydro cam... who knows what may be making the noises.

This site is great, but it hasn't been around long enough to amass the knowledge at the slantsix.org site. Just clicking on the faq sticky in the engine section http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38446 will give you more than enough to read for a month. From air cleaner nuts to the drain plug it has been tried over there.

Thanks for the info. I do know that the cutoff for mechanical lifters was 1981+. I have the last year of solid, so considering I have the clacky noise, I guess that's a good thing. I already tested the lifters for give as soon as I got the valve cover off, so I think I'm good there.

I was able to score a Chilton's for the '76-'80 Aspen/Volare for $2.50 on eBay, not realizing it was actually the original printing of the book. Was kinda surprised to see this miniature sized Chilton's circa 1982 book show up in my mailbox. Has a lot of great info in there to point me in the right direction as far as surface components to check out before I start going hogwild.

You're going to hear it from someone sooner or later... Get a copy of the factory service manual. Those Chilton manuals have alot of wrong information in them. Fine for finding the oil capacity I guess, but probably off when it comes to proper clearances.

Most of the power is in the head, like any other engine. You have a "peanut plug" head which is different from my "drool tube" head. I don't know if the milling/porting approach would be different. Keep reading and then ask component specific questions. I seem to have better luck with those answers than if I ask "I have 5 grand, how fast can I get it to go?"

Here you go! Crappy day for pics but you get the gist.

view1.jpg

View2.jpg

Does it exist now?

-
Back