Precision Axle Bearings?

-

Mattax

Just the facts, ma'am
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Cass asked me whether I wanted Precision or Timken bearings on the axle.
Unfortunately he hasn't got back to me, presumably he's busy, so I'm going to ask here.
What's the difference?
I've always used Timken.
Before someone writes that Precision is Green Roller bearings, that is not what he wrote.
Just different brands of tapered roller bearings.

I have ve noticed Timken's seals are just rebranded from others but didn't know if they still made the bearings in house. Precision I am unfamiliar with.

I do know that Timken was sending different types of seals in their boxes. The owner/manager of a local parts store said he stopped carrying them because customers were coming back asking why one seal is different than the others.

Precision is just a name that O'Reilly's Auto Parts uses for one of their parts lines. I use quite a bit of Precision parts at my auto repair business, and have had pretty good luck with them. I have tried to find out who actually manufactures the stuff, but no luck with that. I would still choose Timken over them, if I had the choice.

Timkin is now globalized, so you could end up with Chinese made. Maybe ask Cass the country of origin of each brand before deciding.

One of my oil customers was a seal manufacturer who made both Timkin and National Seal products, among others. So many brands could come from the same source.

Both are well known brands. When I bought Timken rear axle brgs for my GTO, they were made in China. The covid was free.....

Precision is just a name that O'Reilly's Auto Parts uses for one of their parts lines. I use quite a bit of Precision parts at my auto repair business, and have had pretty good luck with them. I have tried to find out who actually manufactures the stuff, but no luck with that. I would still choose Timken over them, if I had the choice.
Thank you.

-
Back