Prepping car for paint

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
I think I am going to end up being safe then sorry. I wanted to know if you guys could help me understand what I would need to prepare the car for paint. The car has the original paint and no visible rust, so I wanted to sand the car down to a point where it is a good base for primer and then paint. Maybe there is a how to book? Please let me know what you guys would suggest. Thanks!

Sand the car to bare metal with 80 grit paper on a D/A then prime it with either Epoxy or direct to metal high build.

Sand the car to bare metal with 80 grit paper on a D/A then prime it with either Epoxy or direct to metal high build.

So it's better to go down to bare metal then to work with what I already have?

You can use the original paint as a primer, Block wetsand with 600 grit then prime bare metal spots with acid etch primer and cover the panels in your choice of 2k primer of your choice and start the blocking over again.

You can use the original paint as a primer, Block wetsand with 600 grit then prime bare metal spots with acid etch primer and cover the panels in your choice of 2k primer of your choice and start the blocking over again.

I think this seems like the best, I just want to do as much work as possible before I take it to a body shop for them to do the finishing touches and then paint

I think this seems like the best, I just want to do as much work as possible before I take it to a body shop for them to do the finishing touches and then paint
Some shops don't like someone else prepping a car before hand, I know I don't like it. A customer says its ready for paint except for these spots only to find out the car is a wobbly mess. You might be farther ahead to let the shop do it all.

Some shops don't like someone else prepping a car before hand, I know I don't like it. A customer says its ready for paint except for these spots only to find out the car is a wobbly mess. You might be farther ahead to let the shop do it all.

Would it be best to just take it down to bare metal then let them go from there? I want to find a body guy who will let me help to save on cost also, I want to help and learn.

Would it be best to just take it down to bare metal then let them go from there? I want to find a body guy who will let me help to save on cost also, I want to help and learn.
I would talk to a few shops in your area and find out what they would be comfortable with you doing for them to save on the cost. Plus if you strip it you really should take the lead seams out.

i will say this. by sanding it down to metal, YOU will know exactly what is under that paint . And there will be no question what needs to be repaired

This is a clean California car I really see no need to strip it to bare metal. Here in PA I strip them.

I would talk to a few shops in your area and find out what they would be comfortable with you doing for them to save on the cost. Plus if you strip it you really should take the lead seams out.

Which lead seams? The ones on the tail panel? Because I already did! And I will contact them this weekend when I get home near the car! Thank You!

Theres lead in the roof to quarter seams, on the cowl and on the tail panel.

My car came from Cali. I stripped it to bare metal but the paint was failing from the sun.

Which lead seams? The ones on the tail panel? Because I already did! And I will contact them this weekend when I get home near the car! Thank You!
The seams on the rear roof pillars and the cowl below the A pillars.

This is a clean California car I really see no need to strip it to bare metal. Here in PA I strip them.

It is here are some pictures of the car

Attachments

• 5733_126475338857_588488857_3103793_3111680_n.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 183
  • 269661_10150367261273858_588488857_10408099_3221138_n.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 529008_10150927012798858_588488857_13119036_469193864_n.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 185
  • image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 195
The seams on the rear roof pillars and the cowl below the A pillars.

Oh did not know there was more there! Well I'm going to call and see what they say. Most likely will just tell them that the paint was sanded down when I got it or something because I want to save some cash, but do it correctly

Nice car, I like the wheels. I would have fixed that dent...lol

haha thats only 1 of 2 dents! the other dent is in the back on drivers side on the wheel well. I think the car was hit there because their is trunk separation where I can see through the trunk maybe 1-3in long. and thank you! I like them, just wish I might have gone bigger!

that thing looks tough from the side, i really like the color with the black. good choice with the wheel/tire combo

Yeah, I would have invested $300 in a stud welder to pull the dent instead of cutting off the tail panel. Would have been cheaper and easier in the long run, LOL

Yeah, I would have invested $300 in a stud welder to pull the dent instead of cutting off the tail panel. Would have been cheaper and easier in the long run, LOL

Oh it was not for the dent! Im converting to the 71 Duster tail lights! The only thing I did not like about 73 up duster are the tail lights and grill!

-
Back