Prepping factory k-member for race duty

-
Resized_20210923_175135.jpeg
Resized_20210923_175135.jpeg
After tomorrow's predicted snow passes, I'm going to put it in the gravel driveway and soda blast it on the inside parts. Oldkimmer in Saskatchewan did me a solid. Fair price and customs are a PITA, but he came through. I owe him big time. It even has the "340" washer welded on the front. I do honestly appreciate your kind offer. I found an aerospace company in Mukilteo to tank it, if they'll back off their quote to dip it. Beast of luck in 2022 to you. Maybe we can meet on my next Mount Spokane run. Please don't hesitate to ask if I can help with any of your projects. Paul.

I posted the same question a while back.

Found out that the washers in those k-frame reinforcement kits for the LCA pivot holes go on the side the LCA comes in on, the rear, not on the nut side, the front.

Makes sense as you want it reinforced, but it makes no sense as the LCA tube is clearly welded to the k-frame from the inside at the rear, and not the front.

I cut the frame open to weld the front of the tube to the k-frame on the inside.
I was referring to the washer that was welded to the center front of the K frame. There are a couple of threads here. The prevailing theory was it ID'd a 340 car from a 318 car as it travelled down the production line. If anyone is interested, I'll supply good photos from both of mine, including my all original '70 Swinger 340. Maybe only the matching parts guys care, but a neat piece of history for our old cars.

Figured since I just started this project trying to get more weight out of the car I would throw a few pictures up. Factory weight is 38lbs after blasting. I am treading a balancing act of keeping the "factory appearance".
PXL_20220218_005352074.jpg
PXL_20220218_013050536.jpg

Well here it is after some rough work with the plasma cutter. Going to get it back in the blaster on the inside, make some thin panels, weld it up. 9.5 lbs off so far.

PXL_20220219_002932914.jpg

PXL_20220219_002919269.jpg

Great work!. It makes me reconsider mine, but my car will be 90% street driven. At least that's the plan for now.
20220212_164325_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't done anything to mine, I started the thread in December jeez. Snow is finally melted. Gonna get out & do something this weekend.

I'm here to help you Help you MOPARMAGA. I have a few tools and a big attitude to help you from Puget Sound. Keep the faith. Send me more info about K and K Motorsports for my rear, please.

I'm here to help you Help you MOPARMAGA. I have a few tools and a big attitude to help you from Puget Sound. Keep the faith. Send me more info about K and K Motorsports for my rear, please.
Pm sent for his info, he's a racer, retired military, Mopar only guy. Builds high quality engines. Does trans and rear ends, he has an 8.75 in his drag car runs low 10.30s & he's really good & fair person.

Finally a day to play.
IMG_20220219_123540361_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220219_123553084_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220219_123609856_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220219_145827581_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220219_145838245_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220219_161222343_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220219_161234418_HDR.jpg

So I went and grabbed the k-member from work this morning.
Started with cutting the pinch weld.
Then I cut the mounts off, passenger side was easy. Driver's side not so easy.
Then I ground down all the weld leftovers down flush with a 24 grit wheel.
Then because my back wasn't hurting enough went over everything I could with a 60 grit flap style.
Radius all sharp edges To my satisfaction.
Last thing is weld everything, take it back to work glass peen it, hot tank it & put some paint on it.
I could've just bought a 67 idler arm and used the k-member that's already finished for Schumacher mounts but Im using a plate for mounts.

Last edited:
If you are real serious, cut off the mounts and use an engine plate. Weld everything solid and add reinforcement washers on the strut rod holes.
Where would the washers go on the strut rod holes Both sides ?

I'll look at my stock ones in the car and get back to you, or look in my FSM for help. Nice work, I know it's many hours of labor, but it'll never need to be done again. Buy once, cry once is my motto.

"oldkimmer" in Saskatchewan has a set for sale, and the photos show BIG washers on both sides of the K frame. He's a great guy. I've bought parts from him for years, and always more than satisfied. Come to think of it, I might get that set from him. My goal is to replace everything at once with new/rebuilt parts and my new 408.

"oldkimmer" in Saskatchewan has a set for sale, and the photos show BIG washers on both sides of the K frame. He's a great guy. I've bought parts from him for years, and always more than satisfied. Come to think of it, I might get that set from him. My goal is to replace everything at once with new/rebuilt parts and my new 408.
I'll most likely make some at work, we have some that are close, thank you !
I just sold a front disc set up that was all rebuilt & bought a rebuild set up for another set I have, which I'll get all cleaned up at work soon, hot tank & glass peen.
Wanna get this done asap, my 470 is coming home next month from k&k & still have a **** load to do on the rest of the car

Fully seam welded it. It's at 28.7lbs, still need to sandblast the inside and weld the top back on. Really was hoping to get it down to 25lbs. Contemplating a chemical helper..

PXL_20220220_214914198.MP.jpg

Fully seam welded it. It's at 28.7lbs, still need to sandblast the inside and weld the top back on. Really was hoping to get it down to 25lbs. Contemplating a chemical helper..

View attachment 1715874309
Nice job, I'm spending today getting my welder set up in my garage instead of out in the barn, to drafty to Tig weld and too dark as well.

While ypu have the car apert you should weld the body seams to reinforce the unibody beyond the meager spotwelds the factory did .

-
Back