prepping for paint

-

hbbuddha

Reaction score
I have a 74 Dart. The front clip was trash. Got a clip from a 73 Duster. I've pulled the 318 and 904 (I'll be putting in a magnum 5.9 w/ a727)

There are years and up to 3 inches (no joke) in some places, of dirt and grime. I'm thinking of renting a pressure washer to remove most of the build up. But I have some questions. Should I use a hot or cold pressure washer and how many PSI's will be enough?

Or is there a better way to go about cleaning up this mess?

Hillbillybuddha

Yes, heat will warp panels. But if you are ONLY using hot tap water, no warpage. If you are using arc and gas welders, then you can get enough heat to it to warp.

Ah. Ok. I was just reading about people getting warpage using sand blasters (saying it was due to heat and pressure) and thought it might apply to hot pressure washers which can get up to 300 degrees. I think the one I'd rent only gets up to 220 degrees. And since I'm only doing the under carriage and engine bay, any warpage wouldn't really be noticeable (I'm guessing the engine bay gets over 220 from normal use anyway)

regular tap water and purple power in the chem feed will do wonders. Hook it up to a hot line and it will help

-
Back