Pressure Pot

-

Louie70Dart

Southern IL. Complete opposite of k-town
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a pressure pot to paint their car? Just wondering, cause I'm going to use one on mine. And yeah, I'm going to practice, practice, practice with mine. I'll take it to work and use the paint there. I can get the same basic stuff, just not the same color. Thanks.

I wouldn't, my thoughts are those are for undercoating only. why not just use a paint gun?

Pressure pots work fine and they are for PAINTING, not undercoating. They are designed so you can mix alot of product and paint for a long time so you don't have to refill your gun. The biggest problems with them 1 they are bulky and not that portable once you start painting, make sure you have a long enough hose. Two make sure your air compressor is up to the task (plenty of CFM, at least a 5hp 2 stage NOTHING smaller)and that your air supply is clean and dry. Now the next part is on material selection, if you are painting a single stage you will probably fine, but if you plan on bc/cc then I would stick with a quality (SATA, Iwata, DeVillbiss, Sharpe Cobalt) gravity feed gun that atomizes good with a 1.3-1.4 tip for metallic colors and the clear. A pressure pot is just a giant siphon gun and generally they don't atomize modern high solid clears very well. Hope this helps and post some pic when your done.

Thanks 440! Reason I ask is a tech service rep at work suggested using one. He works for us now, but he was a professional painter at Boeing for years. Myself I have a little experience with air assist and airless assist, both electrostatic. If I understand it correctly, you set up the gun with the fan pressure off, and adjust the pressure until you get a stream that breaks about 2 feet from the gun, then you adjust the fan. I have a 3M pps system now, but man it gets heavy when you're spraying a quart at a time. You have to change over several times on a car. I was thinking that with a 2 quart pot, I wouldn't have to lift the gun with paint a lot. If I had a lot of experience painting, it wouldn't be that much of an issue. Oh, we do have a 1.4mm SATA at work specifically for pressure pots, it has the feed at the bottom. Any more experiences/ opinions is welcome.

Oh said:
Is this
s_SATA_mini_set_2%2BSATAjet_K.jpg
what you have? SATA make good stuff and I'm sure it will work just fine. I have used the Devillbis ones from years past and had decent luck with them , but I still go back to my Iwata every time for the conrtol and finish I want.

You are correct in that the gun gets heavy after a while. That should be fine for what you are doing, but your air souce is still very important. Also check your piant manufacture's recommended tip size for your particlular piant and other than a small investment for the correct tip and air cap, you'll be in business. Like you said practice is what will make it nice.

Yeah, SATA with tips from 1.2mm up to 1.8mm. I've used a 1.4mm for an aluminum flake that I will use. My compressor will handle 7.0cfm at 40psi. I can't see myself using more than that, but we will see. I am going to find out the model of the gun, it has the gidital air gauge. Big deal, regular us just fine. Don't think that gun has even been used yet. Thanks again.

I painted school buses about 20 years ago and used pressure pots...I loved them for the capacity and ease. It got very boring painting single stage yellow all the time though !

-
Back