Pressure to get car done

-
If you're feeling pressure, back off and take a break. Reassess everything. It's supposed to be a hobby that brings you enjoyment. If it's not doing that, you need to change something. The last thing you need is to feel stressed with a hobby. It's supposed to be an escape from stress. That's just one peon's opinion.

Bill, maybe tell your wife how much you have in the car and she will change her mind :)

I told my wife I have it insured for $30k and if she were to sell it that would be a good place to start. I also sold her on the investment side of it; knowing I'll most likely never get what I got in it, but 75 to 80% of that would be good enough.

Whe I got my 68 barracuda I thought I would get it done the first year , I'm now on year 2 and now know it will take 3 , thought I knew what I was looking at but when I started taking it apart found alot of bad patch jobs now after finding 2 fenders, 2 doors , new quarter panels , new rockers I still need the rear pan , oh I forgot 3/4 of the floor pans plus numerous patchs I'll have to make , but I'm lucky after mother passed away i finally built my garage after 27 years and put too much on credit cards to outfit it which I have to pay for now and being retired with the shape the economy is in now it's all harder, but my wife has never complained once about the money or the time except to remind me that she wants a mustang when mine is done . I don't really like old mustangs but then it's not mine , I just have to work on it.

Whe I got my 68 barracuda I thought I would get it done the first year , I'm now on year 2 and now know it will take 3 , thought I knew what I was looking at but when I started taking it apart found alot of bad patch jobs now after finding 2 fenders, 2 doors , new quarter panels , new rockers I still need the rear pan , oh I forgot 3/4 of the floor pans plus numerous patchs I'll have to make , but I'm lucky after mother passed away i finally built my garage after 27 years and put too much on credit cards to outfit it which I have to pay for now and being retired with the shape the economy is in now it's all harder, but my wife has never complained once about the money or the time except to remind me that she wants a mustang when mine is done . I don't really like old mustangs but then it's not mine , I just have to work on it.
Most people start when still working a day job, usually after the kids have left, since no time to do much when taking them to activities. But, usually drags until no longer working full time. Good to get other things done first, like prepare garage/carport space and clear your plate of other house and yard tasks. Then, try to find where you squirreled away all the parts 15 years ago, especially if working on multiple cars. Need to pick your battles. As example, would have been easier had I removed the windshields so I could take the dashes out for a bench restore. Instead, I was sand-blasting rust lying on my back with everything falling on me (face shield, mask, but still ...). Sand is still falling out of crevices. Working the body on a full rotisserie is even better, but a big bite. Some car shows send the naked body out for a bath which removes all paint and rust. That approach puts you on an auto assembly line.

Most people have no idea how long it takes to restore a vehicle. And then there is the money thing.
No kidding. Quick story. About 20 years ago, I agreed to help a lifelong friend restore a 65 Impala SS 396. He had one when he was younger (before he went to Vietnam). He wanted another one for YEARS. He found a rather rusty project car and I agreed to help. Bob was a good mechanic, but he knew nothing about body work. I sat him and his wife, Nancy, down before we started and told them it would be at least a 2-3 year project and would probably cost at least $20 thousand. They agreed and work commenced. We did floor pans, quarters trunk floor, trunk drop downs, and a BUNCH of other rust patches. After about 1.5 years, his wife started bitching about how long it was taking and griping to me about how much longer. This is where I tell you that Bob was my dear friend who I loved like a brother, but his wife is not a nice person (I am being nice), and I barely tolerate her. I told Bob to tell his wife to shut up about it. She did for a while, but then she started up again. After 2 years, it was done. Her bitchy attitude tarnished our friendship. We used to go out to eat together and play cards all the time, but after that, I just did not want to be around her. Bob and I remained very close until his death about 2 years ago.

Hey, @bballfan1, let me tell you what I did. I did not receive too much external pressure on my car, other than from some Mopar car club friends who kept giving me crap about how long it was taking. I put enough pressure on myself. Here is what I did, and it really helped. But then again, I'm a retired Air Force Officer, and I am kind of anal when it comes to meticulous project planning and tracking. I started up a spread sheet with 5 columns. Column A was row number, and I got well past 200. Column B was Task/Item. Column C was Estimated Cost. Column D was estimated time. Column E was Explanation if Required. Then I spent many hours (evening while watching TV) making a complete list of every single thing that needed to be done, how much it would cost and an honest estimate of how long it would take. If I planned to buy new exhaust tips, I would give it two rows; one row for the purchase, and one row for the installation. Things like interior screw kit would get only one row for the purchase. I would frequently think about something new and add it. I knew I could devote about 15 hours per week to the project. Some weeks I put in a lot more, but some other weeks stuff like travel for work, vacations and family things came up. Be honest about all of your time estimates. When all was said and done, my time and cost estimates were pretty close. I found it helpful to have that extensive list to refer to.

No kidding. Quick story. About 20 years ago, I agreed to help a lifelong friend restore a 65 Impala SS 396. He had one when he was younger (before he went to Vietnam). He wanted another one for YEARS. He found a rather rusty project car and I agreed to help. Bob was a good mechanic, but he knew nothing about body work. I sat him and his wife, Nancy, down before we started and told them it would be at least a 2-3 year project and would probably cost at least $20 thousand. They agreed and work commenced. We did floor pans, quarters trunk floor, trunk drop downs, and a BUNCH of other rust patches. After about 1.5 years, his wife started bitching about how long it was taking and griping to me about how much longer. This is where I tell you that Bob was my dear friend who I loved like a brother, but his wife is not a nice person (I am being nice), and I barely tolerate her. I told Bob to tell his wife to shut up about it. She did for a while, but then she started up again. After 2 years, it was done. Her bitchy attitude tarnished our friendship. We used to go out to eat together and play cards all the time, but after that, I just did not want to be around her. Bob and I remained very close until his death about 2 years ago.
I've suggested that wifey change her name to "Karen", at least where my classic cars are concerned. She was nice when young, but then started watching "The View" and other women-fussing daytime shows and became empowered. The one thing I asked when first married was that she never watch the Phil Donahue Show, since watching that made my mom unhappy, crying and complaining that nobody appreciated her and if she was paid for labor as a homemaker ... But, shows today have become even more divisive. Wifey watches only MSNBC like Rachel Carson, then faults me for Trump (how my fault?), though she could have just as easily have gone with Fox and faulted me for Biden. Few people seem able to think for themselves. She hated me criticizing Elon Musk, until I pointed out he wasn't a liberal and even made a MAGA-pivot while dissing California which gave him billions in tax credits (better to market his silly CyberTruck?). Anyway, my cars stay as long as I'm breathing, and look at that, the fish are biting (song "I'm gonna miss her").

Hey, @bballfan1, let me tell you what I did. I did not receive too much external pressure on my car, other than from some Mopar car club friends who kept giving me crap about how long it was taking. I put enough pressure on myself. Here is what I did, and it really helped. But then again, I'm a retired Air Force Officer, and I am kind of anal when it comes to meticulous project planning and tracking. I started up a spread sheet with 5 columns. Column A was row number, and I got well past 200. Column B was Task/Item. Column C was Estimated Cost. Column D was estimated time. Column E was Explanation if Required. Then I spent many hours (evening while watching TV) making a complete list of every single thing that needed to be done, how much it would cost and an honest estimate of how long it would take. If I planned to buy new exhaust tips, I would give it two rows; one row for the purchase, and one row for the installation. Things like interior screw kit would get only one row for the purchase. I would frequently think about something new and add it. I knew I could devote about 15 hours per week to the project. Some weeks I put in a lot more, but some other weeks stuff like travel for work, vacations and family things came up. Be honest about all of your time estimates. When all was said and done, my time and cost estimates were pretty close. I found it helpful to have that extensive list to refer to.

I tried several iterations of that. I'm a nearly 30 year IT project manager.

However- no battle plan ever survives the first encounter with the "enemy".

Anyone else have family members wondering if your car will ever be done? My one daughter thinks I just like working on it. And doesn't think I will ever finish! My son says it's embarrassing when people ask him about it, lol. The time and money it takes to do it right is staggering! My wife even said I will probably get in a fight at a show, when someone calls me out about something not original! Anyone else have thee was se comments? Lol
Common problem. Depends how fussy you are and what you are working on.
I have a friend that has a 34 Ford 2dr sedan. He had a 3.8L Buick V6 in it. Ran well, but he got tired of guys asking when he was expecting delivery of the other 2 cylinders.
My engine refresh is going longer than expected, money is tight. Won't be done until I am happy with it though.

Most people have no idea how long it takes to restore a vehicle. And then there is the money thing.
Then there is the tire kicker crowd at Show and Shines that want to purchase your restored car but only want to pay 10 year old price they see on used lots or in the paper, online now.

I've suggested that wifey change her name to "Karen", at least where my classic cars abu8 concerned. She was nice when young, but then started watching "The View" and other women-fussing daytime shows and became empowered. The one thing I asked when first married was that she never watch the Phil Donahue Show, since watching that made my mom unhappy, crying and complaining that nobody appreciated her and if she was paid for labor as a homemaker ... But, shows today have become even more divisive. Wifey watches only MSNBC like Rachel Carson, then faults me for Trump (how my fault?), though she could have just as easily have gone with Fox and faulted me for Biden. Few people seem able to think for themselves. She hated me criticizing Elon Musk, until I pointed out he wasn't a liberal and even made a MAGA-pivot while dissing California which gave him billions in tax credits (better to market his silly CyberTruck?). Anyway, my cars stay as long as I'm breathing, and look at that, the fish are biting (song "I'm gonna miss her").
I had the same problem with witch 2. She was supposed to get a job if we got married. Watched the soaps with the laudy blaws in suits and evening gowns. Eventually bitched her way out of my life.
When friends started calling and asking me to come over for coffee, but leave the weapon at home, I knew the situation was out of control.
A dog to talk to, coffee to drink and a car to tinker on, life is good.

The car is stunning.
Years ago a friend rebuilt a 350 for his 67 Chevelle. When I arrived they were trying to get it started but were just pouring a bit of gas down the carb. I got them to get the fuel pump wired in sko the float bowls could be filled. I went through the initial timing and firing order. Open headers and 11:1 compression with the car facing in the garage. When it fired up at 0230, mom came flying out of the house and clipped all of us with a broom. The open garage acted like a concert hall. Woke people up 10 blocks away. This was just at the introduction of unleaded gas. He had to run 1/2 unleaded premium and half lead regular that was still available.
The guys laughed about that for a long time, but not around his mom or she would go for the broom again.

-
Back