Priced out of the market

-
Well, a certain person made darn sure your dollar is worthless and your economy is in the crapper, so yeah, the hobbies suffer

That’s exactly why I got into A-body’s back in 2010, when I was 16. While I LOVE a lot of B’s and Challenger’s, there’s no way I could’ve afforded the ones I wanted back then. I still can’t, but I’m getting closer! Lol

Glad I built my cars pre-covid-scam, when things were plentiful and shipping was fair.

When you could find a decent car at a fair price to work on and make it your own.

☆☆☆☆☆

Years back no one would do a full nut and bolt restoration on an A Body because cost would far exceed their values. Now full on nut bolt A Body restorations are more common knowing finished cars are worth a lot of money. And that feeds the restoration parts business parts availability. So I guess some good came from the to the moon A Body values.

68 69 Chargers? My buddy wants one been looking. Anything nice tends to move fairly quickly. Talk about outrageous prices. And the nice ones are selling so I assume they are getting the money. Serious supply and demand issues with those cars with no end in sight.

About 10 years back my other buddy bought a numbers match '68 Charger RT fender tag build sheet some rust on 1/4s but no rust anywhere else ugly paint job complete running car for 25k. He said was tired of sitting on side lines watching never ending price increases pulled the trigger. Now he is sitting pretty cause car probably doubled in value.

one part of the problem is that nobody wants to drive beaters anymore. it's all gotta be nice and shiny and "done" cars, so people scoop something up throw 10K worth of paint and tat at it and then realize that it need brakes, and suspension, and motor and trans work, so they go and unload that shizz for 15~20 and the next lucky duck gets to throw another 10K into it and then they want to roll it a few years later for what they got into it.

but yeah, there's still deals out there. but there's also some serious crack pipe pricing on stuff.

one part of the problem is that nobody wants to drive beaters anymore.
I love beaters.... Just can't afford one... I have less $$$$ in my done cars than people thing their beaters are worth....

Back in the 80's my Red Challenger vert was my daily driver, grocery stores, hardware stores, titty bars... Drove it every where... Then I screwed up & painted it... Not comfortable parking it anywhere...

i love how everybody pitches their overpriced crap: oh this is gonna be worth 25, 30, 35K when done!!

yeah, i don't see a /6 auto on the column car getting that kind of money in the near future-- even with a V8 upgrade.

and even then, if you're starting with a clapped out bread and butter piece you're still dropping a massive amount of coin to get there. paint and body is through the roof, interior is a mint, and hell even a motor swap done on the cheap is an easy 6~8K

everybody wants to talk about what they could be worth when they're done, but they don't wanna talk about how much it'll take to get there-- because they don't know.

Glad I built my cars pre-covid-scam, when things were plentiful and shipping was fair.

When you could find a decent car at a fair price to work on and make it your own.

☆☆☆☆☆
Just paid $91 dollars to get an Intake shipped... Gee Whiz! :soapbox:

one part of the problem is that nobody wants to drive beaters anymore.
Pffft.....

0 Jigs.jpg

JF 7.JPG

JF 1.JPG

People with money buy high end done cars or those high priced projects like second gen Chargers etc., that cost stupid $ and then take more stupid $$$ to make them perfect.

People without money want to buy perfect old collector cars that need nothing, every part is new, and they want to trade a damn old worthless Jap bike or a non running old Honda Civic for aid project/

Finding the guy that wants a roller or non running project, and that group gets smaller by the day.

Its easier to sell a perfect $60,000 383 RoadRunner than a $4000 running and perfect (YOU fill in the blank)... :BangHead: :poke: :thumbsup:

Prices have gone up!!! I paid about $225 for a SBM Edelbrock Air Gap several years ago. They are $473 on Summit now.

Picked up a 70 Challenger roller about 6.5 years ago.
Last weekend I sold an old Power Wagon to a guy, he seen the Challenger sitting in the garage, and offered me 20K for the car.
I declined his offer, there is no way I would be able to replace the car for that amount. Rust-free cars are hard to find around here.

In addition to my Barracudas (all purchased in the 80’s and in need/needed rebuilding), I have my late FIL’s 54 Chevy wagon (starting the rebuild) and a 53 Dodge truck I have owned since 75.

I often spot old cars sitting under trees, or people come up to me to see if I would like to buy their car. The VAST majority of them have no idea of the time and expense to do one. Nor do they understand year, make, model, body style, options and condition matter. All old cars are not classics or collectors.

They all think that their rusted 4 door, trashed out, not running car is a quick candidate for Barrett-Jackson… and they aren’t happy when you tell them different.

If I can, I show them my 53 Dodge, before (solid, not wrecked, dented or rusted) and what it looks like now. Then I ask them to tell me what each should sell for. I follow that, asking what they can do themselves. Then I tell them how much I spent on my truck, noting I had to have machine work on the engine and another person did the bodywork. I took it all apart and I put it all back together. I rebuilt everything that needed it except the engine.

I will point at things on their vehicle that I have knowledge of, telling them the range of price of the parts. Then I point out that would be them doing all the work. They crap their pants, get mad, and don’t want to hear it.

I keep looking anyway, just don’t tell my wife.

In addition to my Barracudas (all purchased in the 80’s and in need/needed rebuilding), I have my late FIL’s 54 Chevy wagon (starting the rebuild) and a 53 Dodge truck I have owned since 75.

I often spot old cars sitting under trees, or people come up to me to see if I would like to buy their car. The VAST majority of them have no idea of the time and expense to do one. Nor do they understand year, make, model, body style, options and condition matter. All old cars are not classics or collectors.

They all think that their rusted 4 door, trashed out, not running car is a quick candidate for Barrett-Jackson… and they aren’t happy when you tell them different.

If I can, I show them my 53 Dodge, before (solid, not wrecked, dented or rusted) and what it looks like now. Then I ask them to tell me what each should sell for. I follow that, asking what they can do themselves. Then I tell them how much I spent on my truck, noting I had to have machine work on the engine and another person did the bodywork. I took it all apart and I put it all back together. I rebuilt everything that needed it except the engine.

I will point at things on their vehicle that I have knowledge of, telling them the range of price of the parts. Then I point out that would be them doing all the work. They crap their pants, get mad, and don’t want to hear it.

I keep looking anyway, just don’t tell my wife.
man, all of this.

how much to put an LS in my chevelle? watch their heads explode when you say 15K

i just need brakes for my 74 pinto wagon, cool that'll be like 1500 bucks and their eyes roll back in their head.

grandma's 76 4dr valiant with a wheezy 318 2bbl that was parked by braille for 15 years and had been sitting since 1994 & 1/2 with the windows open isn't worth no 10K you yahoo!

the price and availability of parts is getting tough and the number of people that can and will actually work on old iron is dwindling.

-
Back