Prices for REAL gas?

-

2shelbys

Reaction score
Just curious...How much are you paying for CAM2 / Sunoco Racing gas where you are and where are you? Purple is $6.25/gallon here in central Maryland. My 383 has 11.5 to 1's in it so I need to run the good stuff.

whoa wait a min is this joe dirt from scf if so or even if not where can i get some 110 around here

Now you see why there's a big push towards making power on pump gas. I can even run a 150 shot on my duster with the pump 93 available here.

don

dusterdon said:
Now you see why there's a big push towards making power on pump gas. I can even run a 150 shot on my duster with the pump 93 available here.

don

Yes, it is definitely understandable but I am old school. To me there is nothing like the sound and feel of a high compression big block. I do not mean to insult anyone or rag on anybody but I have always seen nitrous as cheating in order to make a slow car fast (or a fast car faster than it really is). I mean, I know guys with FWD Shelby cars running 12's and even 11's without nitrous. Gary Donovan has even run 10.41 at 132MPH in his Reliant K without nitrous. He did it at Cecil County on 11/10/2001. Again, I do not mean to rag on anyone because power is power and nitrous is a great way to get power in a very cost-effective manner. I am just one of those stubborn guys who doesn't mind paying stupid money to keep a ground-shaking monster on the street.

Last trip to the track sunoco 110 was 6.50 a gallon,and i'm with you i'll NEVER spray,seen enough of nos explosions to keep me away from it,all motor all the time.....

I think with 11.5:1 you could probably get away with mixing 110 with pump. my 11:1 340 runs on 5 gallons of 110 and 10g of pump 93

I havent bought in a while. Last time I did it was like $7/gallon for VP C-12 in a 5 gal drum. Fuel prices are VERY subjective.
As far as the sound..If an 9.5:1 pump gas engine is making power, it will be loud. In most cases, race fuel is the crutch engine builders lean on. The way to the max power is controlling the burn and maximizing pressures. Years ago, you had to slow down and cool the burn to develop high pressures. Now you can do it with fast burning fuels and the right initial engine design. For a bracket racer, fuel costs can mean a few days not racing if the price gets too high. Also, fast burns mean less timing, and less stress on the bearings. It's really a win win situation these days. I'd say as recently as 5-6 years ago, that was not the case.

Here in Saginaw, MI. Sunoco 110 is 5 bucks Gal. Feels alot like Xmas 40 deg. and rain :burnout:

I'm paying $6.00 gal for Sunoco 110. If I buy it by the drum it costs me $5.00 gal.

I agree with AdamR you don't need 110 in 100% form to run 11.5, I'm at 14.0 with the 110. I bet you could run about 15-20% alcohol with pump premium and be ok with 11.5, You might have to jet up your motor a little. Alcohol were I'm at is $2.85 gal.

Dusterdon I've been down the nos path before, by the time I added up the cost of the nos kit and having the bottles filled it is about the same as a high compression race gas motor. Also it seemd every time I needed a shot my bottle was low or out. I have full HP at all times with the high compression motor. Pump premium is $3.25 gal. it only cost's me another $17.50 @ 10 gals race gas. Does it cost less than $17.50 to fill your bottle and does it last for 10 gal of driving? I guessing not.

Like 2shelbys was saying I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade but I don't think you are seeing the savings you think you are seeing.

Chuck

I don't run 100% purple either. I run 50/50 with Sunoco pump gas and it works very well.

moper said:
I havent bought in a while. Last time I did it was like $7/gallon for VP C-12 in a 5 gal drum. Fuel prices are VERY subjective.
As far as the sound..If an 9.5:1 pump gas engine is making power, it will be loud. In most cases, race fuel is the crutch engine builders lean on. The way to the max power is controlling the burn and maximizing pressures. Years ago, you had to slow down and cool the burn to develop high pressures. Now you can do it with fast burning fuels and the right initial engine design. For a bracket racer, fuel costs can mean a few days not racing if the price gets too high. Also, fast burns mean less timing, and less stress on the bearings. It's really a win win situation these days. I'd say as recently as 5-6 years ago, that was not the case.

It is not the "loud" I like so much as feeling your ankles shaking when you stand near the idling car.

1qwikScamp said:
whoa wait a min is this joe dirt from scf if so or even if not where can i get some 110 around here

Yep thats me who are you there? , The favorite market at the end of scruggs Rd has sunoco leaded 110. The cowboys sells 100 unleaded but it sucks and was like 6.50 last time i bought some.

I just paid 8.25 a gallon for 111 octane. I mix it 4 to 1 w/91 octane on cool days and during the summer have to mix it 3 to 1 to contain the pinging.

Price included Commiefornia EPA tax, City taxes, plus a couple more taxes and a $5 for some other stupid reason Commiefornia has to discourage racing fuel consumption.

110 leaded gas is 5.75 plus 8.3%sales tax in 5 gal buckets as a old tanker driver we would haul race gas without going in to detail it was mixed in the truck as followes 90% 100LL (about 110 ocatine with high lead ratio) av gas(too dry for car uses) and 10% tolulene (paint thinner took the dry out of the mix)and some dye it was used at several race track here in the northwest i have mixed it myself and with 92 pump gas worked well on my car and others with about 10.5/1 to 11/1 comp ratio

Yeah, I should add CT has like $.17/gallon fuel state tax, plus Fed tax, so we are generally $.30-.40 higher than anyone else.

-
Back