Primer color/Paint hue?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
So you're painting your car. You're painting it with a semi transparent or very thin type color. Depending on how dark you want the hue, will you prime it with a gray, buff, brown, or black primer. I've found that the finished product will be governed by the color of the primer used in preping for the paint. If using black primer then the finished paint job will be darker than if it were primed with a buff or gray primer. What's your findings on this guys? I think it would be a total No No on priming with two different colors of primer. Am i on the right track. I'll be shooting the Duster tomorrow with Tahitin Gold and i've got it primed totally with a lite gray color. I think the color will be very nice. What color was the factory primer that Ma Mopar used? By the way, this paint booth is killer. WOW !!
Small Block

Yes that is correct the color of the primer is very important. If you are spraying a color that doesn't cover very well then it is best to ensure the whole car is primed or sealed in all one color. I was gonna paint my 2000 Dodge Ram Go Mango but I had grey spot primed over black paint I was told to buy a white sealer to spray over the whole truck prior to spraying color that way the spots didn't show through the very transparent orange.

I would like to use a light color primer to do semi transparent colors so I can see just how well the paint is covering and can see just how three coats do.
Then I would most likely do at least three more if it started covering and get the true color. Are you using base coat then clear Bill ?

Sealing the entire car is always a good idea. If you are spraying base/clear a minimum of 3 coats of base is recommended. Some colors need more!!! The spray booth will help you see, just keep track of how many coats you apply in case you have to do touch up down the road. At least 3 coats of clear especially if you're going to wetsand and buff...
Many of the new car colors are very transparent, the lighter green metallics come to mind. I've seen in collision repair situations where less paint/coverage is needed to match the car. In your case a full shoot, 3-4 cts of base should be more than enough..

Bob

I do an even fog on the first coat and then the next coats are a bit heavier.
Who is going to guard the door and drive way Bill ?:blob:
Nothing is worse then to have a car or some one stir up dust while you are painting in your paint booth.

Time to get the paint booth sprayed down and do not disturb signs up Bill :cheers:

I've got a gallon of paint (base) and a gallon of clear. I hope that will do 3 coats. Turning the air on in a few minutes and wetting the floor down. Mike, guarding the door is your job. I can set you out side the door on a bar stool with a bottle of Cabo in the 98 Deg heat and i can gaurantee you wont last very long. Waiting for Vics call now. I've got to run up to Daves and get the ref. air dryer and hook it up. Mask the car off remove the wheels, unhook the battery and ground the frame and wash it down then do a prep sol wipe. I think it's going to be a full day. Maybe we will have some pics tonight. I think we're going to do the flat black hood. Here i go.
Small Block

From what I have seen, the factory used a red oxide primer in the 70's and a greenish primer in the 60's. With modern base/clear, the primer affects color a lot more than back in the day. The factory used an acrylic enamel (IRC) in the 70's which seems to go on a lot thicker, so it covered better. Plus, the entire car was primered. The main thing is if you are shooting a car with only spot primer, the color of the primer should should not contrast the color of the paint too much.

Good luck today

:-k Man I would like to be there today :-k
I wonder if the wife would let me use here a/c Chrysler Pasifica today :clock:

petit Jean 09 022.jpg

Vic is here and we've got it mask off, the prep sol is been wiped down, floor is watered down and the paint is poured in the mixin can so nothin left to do but squirt the goods. Pics to follow. Here we go............

I bet his guns are clean and having a cold one basking in his paint job.:cheers:

basking = looking, enjoying looking.:read2: Ok I have had a couple of these.

Ralley's 001.jpg

We've got 5 coats of Tahitian Gold on and 1 coat of clear. It's Miller time. 1 beer between coats then back to the clear coat. Tahitian Gold....sounds like some really good smoke. This MGD is the ticket. Maybe it's the fumes of the paint..but what ever it is it's really good. Vic will post pics when he gets home. Got two more coats of clear and then we're done. Only 3 runs. No worry. I've got a run cutter then we'll wet sand with 1000 grit then 1200 then 1500, Hell the work hasn't even started. It's 95 deg in the booth then we'll bump it up to 105 deg. Helps it dry.
Small Block

Thats a nice color, Cant wait to see it done. Ive been enjoying a few wobbley pops of my own.

Yep :rock: Sister Mary :drinkers: I sure am :thumblef:
set a spell and have one with me girl :hello2:
Its to darn hot to be outside and I am doing laundry at the same time :drinkers:
I figure Bill is having one with me :supz:

HAY Bill :-D The clear coat will hit you soon bud =P~
I wish I was there to enjoy a couple shots with you :rock::drinkers:

I knew I should have made the drive#-o Bill has a nice room for me and everything :banghead:
But I did get the front yard mowed down by the mail box this morning about 7 am.
But that could have waited till tomorro :bootysha:

Thats a nice color, Cant wait to see it done. Ive been enjoying a few wobbley pops of my own.

Well howdy brother Adam :cheers: Here is to you:drinkers: and us having anther with each other chief :drinkers:
I don't think we have ever had one together to Bill and Adam sharing a great day :drinkers::wave:

:drunken::drunken::drunken::drunken::drunken::drunken::drunken::drunken::drunken::drunken::thumbup:

Second coat of clear is on. Now it's time for an MGD and then we'll put on a third coat of clear. 1 beer between coats is our timing, I've been out here since 7 AM, Let's see......5 coats of base ...that's 5 beers and 2 coats of clear...that's 2 more....so i've got one more MGD to go......now that don't count the shots of Kesslers. We're doin O.K. We'll cut the runs out later.....just before we wet sand it......Vic is in mixin the last clear coat....It's 100 deg in the booth......we're bakin this thing.
Small Block

Here with ya Bill and Tony :drinkers: We are keeping up with each other:drinkers:
You do the shots of Kesslers and I have two shots of Tequila in me :bball::drinkers:

I figure the clear is mixing good with the MGD and Kesslers by now :-D

I find Bud Light Lime to be the perfect paintin' in the summertime heat refresher. During the winter months, nothin' beats a Guiness between coats :)

I find Bud Light Lime to be the perfect paintin' in the summertime heat refresher. During the winter months, nothin' beats a Guiness between coats :)
I need to try a Bud Light Lime some time Gary =P~
It sounds like it would be a refreshing drink and mix well with Tequila.
So you like it well :happy10: I will try a six pack next time I get a chance 8)

-
Back