Primering car in garage attached to house

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
What temp., should the garage be? The weather looks to be in the low to mid 60's. I have a small heater I was planning on trying to heat the garage with to keep the temp around 60-70 minimum, but wanted to see what you guys suggest. I would of course be using a fast reducer. And the paint does say for temps below 60 to allow 3.5 or more hours of drying time to sand.

Dry to Sand Time s:
Primer:
>60°F (15°C) 60-70°F (15-21°C) 70-80 °F (21-26°C) 80-100°F (26-38°C)
3.5+ hours 2 - 3 hours 1.5 - 2.5 hours 1 - 2 hours 30 minutes

To recoat: 20 minutes To Denib: 20 - 30 minutes Max Recoat w/o Sanding: 2 hours

dont use a heater. you will go boom.
haha okay... was just a tissue box sized electric one that I thought I might use before painting to heat the room as much as possible and then after painting to help dry the paint..does that sound like a better idea or still bad?

I painted my car in a attached garage, we did the priming in the driveway. I would leave the door open make sure it is well ventilated. If you have forced heat or a/c make sure your system is shut down you don't want to pull the fumes in the house.

But was the outside temp when you guys painted? Because the month forecast looks like it will in the high 50s to mid 60s on a good day. Was hoping the attached garage would be able to keep heat in and help

You can heat the garage ahead of painting, just make sure the heater is turned off while you're painting. Also, if your water heater is in the garage you'll want to turn it off and extinguish your pilot light (if its a natural gas heater) until the fumes have dissipated. Even if its electric you'll want to turn it off.

Also keep in mind that this is a BIG no-no with the EPA in California (and most other places actually). So make sure your neighbors are cool, because if they report you its THOUSANDS in fines.

You'll want to wait for one of those days in the 60's and use a very fast reducer. It can be done, I've painted when its that cold or colder, but it does make things more interesting. Long dry times. For primer its not as big a deal, but topcoat can "blush" if its too cold, you get a whitish haze and the paint can lighten in color.

You can heat the garage ahead of painting, just make sure the heater is turned off while you're painting. Also, if your water heater is in the garage you'll want to turn it off and extinguish your pilot light (if its a natural gas heater) until the fumes have dissipated. Even if its electric you'll want to turn it off.

Also keep in mind that this is a BIG no-no with the EPA in California (and most other places actually). So make sure your neighbors are cool, because if they report you its THOUSANDS in fines.

You'll want to wait for one of those days in the 60's and use a very fast reducer. It can be done, I've painted when its that cold or colder, but it does make things more interesting. Long dry times. For primer its not as big a deal, but topcoat can "blush" if its too cold, you get a whitish haze and the paint can lighten in color.

Thanks...We actually had a guy down the street already paint 3 of his cars in a giant portable tent in his front yard, that everyone could see. I don't live in to uppity side of town. The neighbors all know me and my family, but I will take this all into consideration. Good thing my brother is an attorney :cheers:. If I do, I plan on turning the water heater off and heating the garage to around 80 if possible, that way the metal temp will be high enough to paint and when I turn the heaters off the temp will slowly drop. I believe the garage is insulated, so should be okay with holding the heat. I will also get a temp sensor gun to check the metal surface temp.

Also I will only be spraying primer and a coat of sealer in my garage. The color will be done by another painter in a booth.

It does go down in North Florida. We heated up the shop until the sheetmetal read 65 on the infrared, opened one bay door, then sprayed. Was good. That was medium reducer.

Also, what are you doing for ventilation? If you use a blower which acts to pressurize the garage, it will force fumes and smell right into the house.

Or do you have an air--supplied breathing mask?

Also, what are you doing for ventilation? If you use a blower which acts to pressurize the garage, it will force fumes and smell right into the house.

Or do you have an air--supplied breathing mask?

We have a Garage door of course. The then a 4-5 ft long by 3-4 ft tall window that I will open and a outside side door.

Back in the day we painted so many cars in a 20x20 garage with a 90K btu propane heater going full blast with 2 guns going with overspray so thick in the air you could cut it with a knife. Never went boom. It ain't like its gasoline vapors.

Back in the day we painted so many cars in a 20x20 garage with a 90K btu propane heater going full blast with 2 guns going with overspray so thick in the air you could cut it with a knife. Never went boom. It ain't like its gasoline vapors.

Maybe not, Id rather not chance it.

Also, You mom is going to hate you because the house will stink for days. My garage is detached but its only feet from the house and my wife was not happy when I primed the Duster and didnt close the windows of the house.

It doesn't have to be... Ever seen the results of a grain silo explosion ? And that's just the dust igniting from static..... Get the right combination of air, solvent vapors and particles and you could be the feature on the evening news....not that you'd be around to see it.

Wow!!! ..............That's all I'm going to say.

If I were you I'd go out and buy a lottery ticket because you are one lucky S.O.B.!!!!!

But was the outside temp when you guys painted? Because the month forecast looks like it will in the high 50s to mid 60s on a good day. Was hoping the attached garage would be able to keep heat in and help

the last car i shot with Y2K in 55* temps with medium reducer and was blocking within 3 hours

I don't heat the garage at all. I do use a good respirator and a couple of fans & keep the garage door and windows open. I also get out of the garage as soon as possible after spraying.

my car was painted in a comletely masked off garage. we had tow big propane heaters going for a few hours prior to painting. got the room and metal of the car up over 75 degrees. kicked the exhaust fans on, wetted the floor and shot the car. waited about 20 min and kicked the heaters back on. worked well.

the last car i shot with Y2K in 55* temps with medium reducer and was blocking within 3 hours

You should wait at least a week before blocking some the primer has time to shrink. If you block to fast it can shrink after your done leaving sanding scratches

It doesn't have to be... Ever seen the results of a grain silo explosion ? And that's just the dust igniting from static..... Get the right combination of air, solvent vapors and particles and you could be the feature on the evening news....not that you'd be around to see it.

Exactly. Grain, flower, anything that burns (paint!!! thinner!!!) that is aspirated into the air. Frankly, I do NOT know how guys get away with this.

Commercial body shop paint booths have to employ special fire and electrical code condsiderations. That alone should tell you something

http://www.aframe-paint-booth.com/national-fire-code.html

===========================================================

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/kent_county/belmont-fire

a partial quote:

"
CANNON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) - A 57-year-old man was severely burned after an explosion occurred in his garage as he was spray-painting near a wood-burning stove.
Louis Deleau suffered second- and third-degree burns on nearly one-third of his body"

===========================================================

Former neighbor sprayed a car in the garage, don't know exactly what went wrong but the fire department was there to put the house out. And of course the police were notified.....which resulted in a fine.....and his home owners policy would not cover it....so he was screwed big time...good luck....

Maybe not, Id rather not chance it.

Also, You mom is going to hate you because the house will stink for days. My garage is detached but its only feet from the house and my wife was not happy when I primed the Duster and didnt close the windows of the house.

Yeah...She was the one that agreed to let me before my dad would haha..I will have to open the back doors to let the draft flow through then. And cover the door well so it doesn't go in as much

You should wait at least a week before blocking some the primer has time to shrink. If you block to fast it can shrink after your done leaving sanding scratches

A week really? Is that just the first coat of primer and first set of blocking or every time you apply wait a week?

-
Back