Priming 1966 273 Commando Engine - Question

-

robodhran

Reaction score
Hi every-A-body

After complete engine restoration I am priming my engine. I am getting oil on the drivers-side rocker shaft at #1 cylinder TDC with 65 psi. Can anyone tell me what would be the position for the passenger side-head? The oil channel is on cylinder #6, but as a rookie I don't know exactly to what position I have to turn the damper. Guess it corresponds with the valve-adjusting sequence. Thanks a lot. Robert

Attachments

• 2015-09-12 16.24.05.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 183
I know this is not the answer you are looking for, and I don't remember the specific crank angle. The way I've always done it is to simple slowly turn the crank with a wrench while priming.

As I remember "you'll hear" when it lines up you can hear the change in "pitch"

Hi every-A-body

After complete engine restoration I am priming my engine. I am getting oil on the drivers-side rocker shaft at #1 cylinder TDC with 65 psi. Can anyone tell me what would be the position for the passenger side-head? The oil channel is on cylinder #6, but as a rookie I don't know exactly to what position I have to turn the damper. Guess it corresponds with the valve-adjusting sequence. Thanks a lot. Robert

The beauty of the 90 deg crank as related to priming 'disciplines'
Start at TDC # 1 CYL, rotate 45 deg, Prime, rotate 45 deg, Prime, rotate 45 deg, Prime,
rotate 45 deg, prime, repeat 3x, done. :D

I think that you should wait to do this until you are in your prime...

I know this is not the answer you are looking for, and I don't remember the specific crank angle. The way I've always done it is to simple slowly turn the crank with a wrench while priming.

As I remember "you'll hear" when it lines up you can hear the change in "pitch"

Yeah, that worked! Just had to get another helping hand (brother) to crank the engine. Slowly turning the electric drill gave a steady flow of oil and a pressure of 65 psi.:cheers:
And the break-in grease is still remaining on the camshaft and lifters... Thanks to everyone!

next time: 90 deg (1/4 turn) BTDC #1 compression. might be a partial slit on the dampener to use & if not, cut a strip of paper 5.694" long with your calipers & use it as a ruler. Dr side 20 deg ATDC #6 compression. use the dampener as a ruler to go from 15 to 20 EDIT meant to say use the timing tab as a ruler to go from 15 to 20

-
Back