Priming Engine

-

srg610

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm getting real close now to starting the rebuilt 360, and I'm back to the oil pump priming thing. Several times I have run the drill until smoke was coming out of it, with no oil to the rockers... and then I was thinking about what some of you have said about turning the motor over by hand. But I'm a little confused...in order for the oil pump to spin, the distributor drive gear has to be in right? That thing is a little b@t@ch to get back out, and you can't use the tool to go down to the pump. Help me out here...
Now one guy I talked to said to just pull the coil wire and turn the motor over with the starter. I was thinking of pouring some oil over both valve trains, placing the valve covers back on and trying this, until I get pressure on the gauge and a flow at the heads. Is that a good idea?
Thanks again,
Scott
Oregon City, OR

They make a priming shaft that you can run with a drill with the dis and the intermdeiate shaft out. And yes you have to turn the engine over as the holes in the camshaft journals have to line up with the oil passages unless you have one of the rare camshafts with groved journals.

I am sure that you just want to prime with the oil pump. I know what you mean about getting the cam drive gear out. It is a major pain. I ended up bending the tips of a long set of needle nosed pliers inward to get a bite on it to lift it out. Just keep at it. I actually have made my own priming tool. Good luck.

-
Back