Priming my 360

-

J's1970Duster

Reaction score
Put in my newly machined 1975 LA 360 that is now .30 over. Put new aluminum Elderbrock heads with roller rockers. The wholes on the rocker arm shaftss are pointing down like I was told they needed to be. Went to prime the motor and only the driver side pushed oil through. All of the plugs are in the right places bc it just came from the shop. Any and all comments or suggestions welcome.

You need to rotate the crank slowly while running the pump and when it hits the right spot, I think it is 90 regres the other side will oil.

On a small block:
Turn the motor to 90* before top dead center coming up on #1 compression. The pass. side rockers should get oil.
Turn the motor to 20* after top dead center just past #6 compression. The drivers side rockers should get oil.

what "70" said. use the timing tab as a ruler to get from 15 to 20 for the DR head oiling and for the pass head, 90 BTDC, some dampeners have (3) partial slits at 90 deg (1/4) intervals in addition to the full TDC slit or cut a strip of paper 5.694" to use as a ruler

Thank you everyone for the tips. Helped out newbie... Now I was going to put my transition in and noticed a small crack in the bottom of the bell housing. Will this cause a problem?

Thank you everyone for the tips. Helped out newbie... Now I was going to put my transition in and noticed a small crack in the bottom of the bell housing. Will this cause a problem?

It might. Post a pic of it if you can.

You might use a small drill bit and drill a hole at the end of the crack, this may help it from continuing.

Then you could fill the hole with a little dab of silicone.

Is it a crack, or just a casting flaw? Pictures would really help.

I was able to drill a small hole at the end. It seems to be working fine. I was FINALLY able to fire it up, break it in on Friday. Had it on the road Sunday evening after a shifter cable replacement from the headers melting it, and a new kick down cable. Can't wait for new wheels, tires, and gears. Whoo Hooo!!!!

-
Back