pro and cons of 170 /6

-
compared to what? you can spin the crap out of that 170, above 8 grand if its built... think you need to talk to Memike

I just bought a 66 valiant 100 with the 170 /6 3 on the tree and want some pro and cons of this setup

It's a three on the tree... Have fun driving it... They're cool! :blob:

And they get good PMG even worn out.... :D

compared to what? you can spin the crap out of that 170, above 8 grand if its built... think you need to talk to Memike

You hit it 805moparkid, It's nothing to see My /170 low deck hit 5.500 rpm and be happy
I am sure his car is like mine and has 3.23 gears.
The 170 when tuned and set up with electronic ignition and remove the VERY small down pipe and all the exhaust and go to a 2 1/4 new exhaust with a quite muffle then add a 2'' tail pipe sure woke mine up and ran cooler along with getting 5 more miles to the gallon.
I think the main advantage is these 170/6 engines seem to tune up great and last a very long time compared to the long stroke 225/6 but I am just going by what I have seen and herd about the 225 throwing a rod some times #4 or 5 I think.
They put these 170/'es in combines to big generator packs back in there day, Farmers had them pumping water for there crops. But to say there is an advantage over the 225/ Charrie_S could say if there is or not, he elected to use the 170 for his /6 racer. Another advantage could be that the /6 head was designed for the 170/ not the 225/, all /6 heads are the same but maybe, just maybe they tune a bit better fir the 170/ :-k I don't know.

I can ell you this, they do not make a header for the 170/ not unless you can find a set of dutra duals. But in my opinion not unless you have a high revving racer these heads just don't flow that many numbers stock or even with big valves and a bit larger bump stick (cam). These early 170 and 225 slant six engines was built tuff and heavy, steel cranks and the same size bearings as a 426 hemi / 440 . later they went to a forged crank and smaller bearings.

Down side = less displacement (cubic inches), hard to find an automatic trans for these 66 67 170/'s. But I like my 170/ in my 66 Valiant sedan, just because these car's are very light 2.750, compared to the later A bodies that have 450 to 550 lbs they have to move around.

If they are running and maintained I have never seen one worn out Karl :D

I just bought a 66 valiant 100 with the 170 /6 3 on the tree and want some pro and cons of this setup

keep it serviced and keep the shifting linkage greased up and slippery and don't try and do any speed shifting :burnout:
On this day less was more, yes I am proud :D

Attachments

• George Ray's 2013 088.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 170
  • My first win 2013 George Rays 056.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 163
Thanks for all of the feedback

Can you share a picture of it, you do know that the 66 valiant was the first of the last body, one year only body style :thumblef: The 66 is a one year only :hello2:

Looks like it is complete, It is very VERY easy to put electronic ignition on it
That was my first thing I did, and it sure does like it.

There is a few ways to get it dun, this is what choose, but we have many ways to do it . Enjoy and keep us updated :thumblef:

Attachments

• Picture%20222%20005.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 127
-
Back