Pro Max Mistake?

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I started finishing up my fuel system (notice I didn't say I finished ?) today when I ran into the first of 2 problems that stoped me dead in my tracks. The braided Six Pack fuel line from Pro Max was assembled incorrectly I think. I tried installing it both ways, and this is how it fits. Bad....
Barracuda495-vi.jpg

It appears that the rear hose is too short, and the fittings are reversed between the center and rear carb. I looked at Moparlee's picture he posted of the same line and his fits. If I try and reverse it there's NO WAY the fittings line up with the fuel float bowls. The ends and hoses do NOT pivot. The way they look is the way they are installed. You can see how the center carb fuel line is kinked against the PVC line for the center carb... not to mention the front section digging into the valve cover. And like I said, it CAN'T be mounted any other way due to the fittings direction. Pro Max get's an e-mail and a phone call in the morning.....
Barracuda488-vi.jpg

Yeah.... I'm not happy. Damn Six Pack! As sexy as it is, it's become a huge pain the the butt. Plus I can't use those sexy little air cleaners I bought (they hit the hood, even with shorter filter elements...) and I might have to buy a chrome lid for the factory air cleaner provided the stock one I have doesn't look good painted body color.

The other problem I have is I bought the wrong AN fittings for my fuel tank sump (my bad...) and I have to clean and detail the fuel filler neck, which I forgot to do last week. Now we can push this all back a few days as the weather is starting to change. It's getting cold out there. It won't be long now before I jack her up and throw the car cover on for the winter.

<sigh...> Next year.... :prayer:

The more I compare Lee's engine to mine, the more I realize the center fitting is crimped backwards.... therefore, the line IS backwards on mine, but the fitting doesn't line up.

Leesixpack-vi.jpg

The fittings feel like they shouldn't be forced to twist. I'll call Pro Max and see what to do.
Barracuda491-vi.jpg

I swear.... it never ends.

The more I compare Lee's engine to mine, the more I realize the center fitting is crimped backwards.... therefore, the line IS backwards on mine, but the fitting doesn't line up.

Leesixpack-vi.jpg

The fittings feel like they shouldn't be forced to twist. I'll call Pro Max and see what to do.
Barracuda491-vi.jpg

I swear.... it never ends.

Yea fastback, it looks like promax have got the front stainless braided line and the rear line flip flopped. The long line coming from the Tee just downstream of the pressure guage should be going to the rear carb and short line that's going to the rear carb should be the first downstream of the first Tee.

Terry

Looks to me like someone got the front and back lines reversed on your assembly just by looking at the pictures. I would send them the pics you just posted.

Looks to me like someone got the front and back lines reversed on your assembly just by looking at the pictures. I would send them the pics you just posted.

It looks like if I could twist the center line 180 degrees around everything "should" work out OK. I still want to call Pro Max since this is an expen$ive piece of fuel line I don't want to F-up... If need be I'll send them the pictures and see if they have an explanation.

" We are the aftermarket. Resistance is futile ! Buy a hammer. "

john, just send the whole mess to me, including the air breather.
i'll straigten her out and test it for ya.
i got a 70 dart i'd love to have that rig on. LOL
thats 1 beautiful car your building!!! SWEEEET!!!

john, just send the whole mess to me, including the air breather.
i'll straigten her out and test it for ya.
i got a 70 dart i'd love to have that rig on. LOL
thats 1 beautiful car your building!!! SWEEEET!!!

I had everything packed and ready to send you, but Ben from Pro Max called back. Seems they have a "new" batch of fuel lines and there "might" be a problem.

I'm sending them pictures when I get home. We'll get past this....

BTW: Thanks for the compliment. I'm pleased with how the car is coming along too... :hello2:

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have a factory Six pack setup. I was interested in seeing how their carburetor idle screw baseplate modifications (front & rear) would work. Looks like the fuel line problem will set you behind.

My hood would not close without having it cut, btw. You'll love the six pack setup when you get it dialed in.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have a factory Six pack setup. I was interested in seeing how their carburetor idle screw baseplate modifications (front & rear) would work. Looks like the fuel line problem will set you behind.

My hood would not close without having it cut, btw. You'll love the six pack setup when you get it dialed in.

I've had the six pack on my car for a few years now and it fits just fine. It's only during the resto that I decided to upgrade it with the Pro Max parts. I have the rear billet base plate, the end carb metering plates for replacable jets, and the enhanced center carb metering plate. As for how it all works, I'll get back to you on that.

Check my previous posts under Cuda Capers and you'll see the carb modifications.

I've had the six pack on my car for a few years now and it fits just fine. It's only during the resto that I decided to upgrade it with the Pro Max parts. I have the rear billet base plate, the end carb metering plates for replacable jets, and the enhanced center carb metering plate. As for how it all works, I'll get back to you on that.

Check my previous posts under Cuda Capers and you'll see the carb modifications.

Ahh...okay I only read part of the thread. I did see the modifications from Promax.

Guess I better get reading.

hopefully promax will work it out. once again, you're car is definitely going to be reallllly nice. makes mine look like i did it half ***.

Hey John,
Things are looking really good. Keep it up. Hopefully, you'll be able to get some work done during the winter. Oh yeah, watch yourself with that wrench...you look like you're a backfire away from whacking something or somebody. LOL

I heard back from Ben and it seems like he has a bad batch of fuel lines. They're ALL backwards. I sent him my lines this morning and he'll return a correct set.

Always sumthin...:sad1:

I heard back from Ben and it seems like he has a bad batch of fuel lines. They're ALL backwards. I sent him my lines this morning and he'll return a correct set.

Always sumthin...:sad1:

it did look like the front and back lines were flipped. soon it will look like lee's. it looks good when right. where did you get your valve covers? did you drop your shorts and pay the $$$$$$ for the morosos? or are they like the ones from racingjunk.com?

Where did you get your valve covers? did you drop your shorts and pay the $$$$$$ for the morosos? or are they like the ones from racingjunk.com?

Nah... I kept my shorts on. I bought mine from a guy on e-Bay. I paid $165 shipped to my door. I had to cut the holes for the breathers though he'll do it for you for an additional $10. I just picked up a second set for my buddy Tom's Dart.

http://stores.ebay.com/James-Gang-Racing-Products

great price. my customer just got a set from 440source for his bigblock and were on sale for $109! and the breather holes were stamped and rolled in to accept a rubber grommet. still $165 is an awesome price when all there used to be were the morosos @ $300-350 a set.

-
Back