Problem with power brakes

-

Payy

Reaction score
Hi.
I have a problem with the power brakes in my 74 Dart.
When the car is running, the power brake booster is locking the wheels completely. When it is not running, there is no problem spinning them.
I first noticed this problem right afther I replaced the front calipers.

Any ideas?

Internal vacuum leak. There's probably a tear in one (or more) of the diaphrams. Good Luck trying to find a replacement. I looked for 2 years for a new/rebuilt one for my 69 Swinger 340 car and never found one. Booster Dewey is probably your only hope unless you find a good used one.

George

Hi.
Thanks for the answer! Still I don't follow you, what exactly are you refering to when you say diaphrams?

-Payy

He is refering to the rubber diaphrams inside the booster. If you have the small 7 inch booster then it has two diaphrams versus the larger booster that has one. I would think though that if you have a tear or hole in a diaphram then you would not be getting lockup (less vacumme). What is the pedal feel on your car. Have you disconnected the vacumme hose from the booster and pluged the manifold nipple and see what effect you have. It would be like going to manual brakes. Does it still lock up? That would eliminate the booster in the system. Are the pads installed correctly, are they the correct pads?

If all was working fine before you replaced any part then I would suspect the wrong part was installed or installed incorrectly. I know that I installed my brake shoes incorrectly and that caused some problems, like locking up, before I discovered my mistake.

Any more info would be helpful.

John B.

Thanks.
The brakes are working fine when I disconnect the vacumme, think the pads and calipers are fine.

-Payy

-
Back