Problem With Relocated Rear Springs.

-

74swangur

Reaction score
Relocated my springs last weekend. All went well, but now when I drive over a hard bump in the road such as a split in the pavement or a pothole, there is a hard slam in the rear. Suspension travel is fine when I push the car up and down. I have to bounce it pretty hard to make the pinion snubber hit. The snubber has about 3" inches before contact. The hard slam doesn't happen when driving over rolls and dips in the road, only when hitting something hard. Didn't have this problem before relo with stock wheels and tires. After relo I am running 245/60R15's on 15 x 8 Weld Prostars. My springs dont have much arch. They are stock five leafs off of a four door smallblock car.
I'm concern that my shackle angle is not correct. Could this be the problem?

Maybe the shocks are bottoming out, as your new set up will call for shorter shock travel.

Well not sure, but I compressed them fully and marked them with a sharpy marker before I reattached them. They showed to still have 3+ inches of travel after being reattached. I'm still quessing!

how much is avaible over all? 3in doesn't sound like enough after you get into the car, the have it driving with the rear squatting.

Steve

If you moved the springs into the frame. The rear shackles may be hitting
the rear of the frame. Going to far back and bottoming out. How strong
are the springs?

My shackles are very close to vertical. Have checked for any marks that would indicate spring eye hitting frame. Springs are stronger than the ones I removed. They are stock five leafs off of a four door smallblock car. The original ones I removed were 4 leaf because my car is a two door /6. I thought the 5 leaf would be better.
:color:

On my Dart, the lower shock bolt hit the gas tank corner. Could that be it? I believe it was on the passenger side, but I can't recall for sure.

Mike
my car does the same thing, very stiff after relocating springs
I did have a couple of problems, my rear leaf hangers were hitting the frame boxes in the back and I had to buy a shorter shocks. still very rough

-
Back