Problems/concerns/questions

-

Duster 383

Reaction score
So not too sure where to start because i have no direction. So I come to the people that know best!!

Background info:
74 duster body
69 383 motor swapped in(no motor mounts)
727 trans (I assume it's the same yr as the motor)
I want this to be enjoyable to drive one the street and still have the available to have some fun at the track

Problem 1
so the steering sucks because it is hitting the oil pan ...does someone know of a oil pan to use or do I have to make a custom one ?

Problem 2
Front suspension feels like a boat when driving how do I fix this ??? What upgrades do I need ...is there bolt on items for this or once again does it need to be custom??

Problem 3
Carb has no choke ...so wondering about carb/throttle body injection. Does anyone have experience with a throttle body injection system on a old car ?? Or do I just go old school carb with electric choke, if so what should I get??? Stock motor mild cam headers Edelbrock dual plane intake... I was thinking 800-850 just don't know best manufacturers??

I'm new when it comes to old school Mopar muscle I had a 01 Dakota r/t with a magnum 360 so I'm lost and looking for guidance thanks to all !!!

So not too sure where to start because i have no direction. So I come to the people that know best!!

Background info:
74 duster body
69 383 motor swapped in(no motor mounts)
727 trans (I assume it's the same yr as the motor)
I want this to be enjoyable to drive one the street and still have the available to have some fun at the track

Problem 1
so the steering sucks because it is hitting the oil pan ...does someone know of a oil pan to use or do I have to make a custom one ?

Problem 2
Front suspension feels like a boat when driving how do I fix this ??? What upgrades do I need ...is there bolt on items for this or once again does it need to be custom??

Problem 3
Carb has no choke ...so wondering about carb/throttle body injection. Does anyone have experience with a throttle body injection system on a old car ?? Or do I just go old school carb with electric choke, if so what should I get??? Stock motor mild cam headers Edelbrock dual plane intake... I was thinking 800-850 just don't know best manufacturers??

I'm new when it comes to old school Mopar muscle I had a 01 Dakota r/t with a magnum 360 so I'm lost and looking for guidance thanks to all !!!
First question.... what do you mean no motor mounts? How's it mounted ? A plate?

Problems 1 : answer. There is a factory oil pan that will clear the steering. It's from a C body and I'll have to look up the number for you as I'm drawing a blank.

Problem 2: How much money are you wanting to spend? Do you want to keep the factory designed torsion bars or go complete aftermarket coil over system such as Gerst, HemiDenny or RMS Alterkation? There's pluses and minuses to both. And lots of options off the shelf either way.

Problem 3: there's a couple options. Holley Sniper and Fast EFI are essentially bolt in and plug and play options to swap to a fuel injection while using a four barrel carb intake. Staying carb and going electric choke is the cheapest option but does require tuning. The EFIs cost at least 1,000 but are self learning/tuning. If you stay carb, a 750 would probably be suffice in a mild build

First question.... what do you mean no motor mounts? How's it mounted ? A plate?

Yes it's a solid aluminum plate on the front of the motor ...is that enough or should there be traditional mounts as well ???

Problems 1 : answer. There is a factory oil pan that will clear the steering. It's from a C body and I'll have to look up the number for you as I'm drawing a blank.

Dude that would be awesome!!!

Problem 2: How much money are you wanting to spend? Do you want to keep the factory designed torsion bars or go complete aftermarket coil over system such as Gerst, HemiDenny or RMS Alterkation? There's pluses and minuses to both. And lots of options off the shelf either way.

My dad wants a complete swap ie tubular k frame/control arms coil overs and motor mounts... To eliminate the plate in the front

Problem 3: there's a couple options. Holley Sniper and Fast EFI are essentially bolt in and plug and play options to swap to a fuel injection while using a four barrel carb intake. Staying carb and going electric choke is the cheapest option but does require tuning. The EFIs cost at least 1,000 but are self learning/tuning. If you stay carb, a 750 would probably be suffice in a mild build

Boy, unless you're doing a strip only car, that motor plate is going to rattle some teeth around town! There are motor mount options from Schumacher that will give you isolated mounts that fit your stock K-Frame!!

That however, may not be neessary if you go for a plug and play front suspension from HDK ( a member here), or some other front end manufacturer, which eliminates the stock K frame altogether, as well as the torsion bars and all of the front suspension!! I've seen the HDK, it's gorgeous, and completely tuneable!!

The carb/efi is your choice!

Boy, unless you're doing a strip only car, that motor plate is going to rattle some teeth around town! There are motor mount options from Schumacher that will give you isolated mounts that fit your stock K-Frame!!

That however, may not be neessary if you go for a plug and play front suspension from HDK ( a member here), or some other front end manufacturer, which eliminates the stock K frame altogether, as well as the torsion bars and all of the front suspension!! I've seen the HDK, it's gorgeous, and completely tuneable!!

The carb/efi is your choice!
So the HDK will come with everything I need ... control arms and everything??

It should.

Also check out Gerst Suspensions. It's also a coil over set up sold by a member here. I have one and it rocks. www.gerstsuspensions.com

Reilly Motorsports also sells one.

My advice, check out all 3, talk to all 3, you can't go wrong with any of the above 3.

That said, stay away from Magnum Force and AJE anything. Numerous failures and problems.

If you want to stay torsion bar, PST, Firm Feel and Hotckiss are all good brands. They offer some upgrades for your torsion bar set up.

As for the motor plate, if you're gonna drive it at all on the street, ditch that thing and go with Regular mounts. If your K frame doesn't have them anymore, you're gonna have to source a new k frame and then get the correct mount kit from Schumacher

Here's the information on the oil pan you'll need. Regardless of which way you go suspension wise, this pan should work with all of them.

Oil Pans

Yes, it does!! And, if you message FABO member "HemiDenny", he can tell you all about it, and how to get the setup you need!! He put the HD in HDK!!

You are the man ...and I have a convo in with hemidenny so maybe we can get the ball rolling on this ...it didn't take long for the right help
Nice! Make sure you check with the others too(Gerst,RMS) never know what deals they have going on. Dennys is a nice kit for sure and won't steer you wrong.
Why a 750 and not a 850

Too big of a carb will kill power faster than too small of a carb. For "most" street engines, a 750 works great. You won't see the benefits of the larger 850 until high rpms. So essentially you're cruising around with an air/fuel mixture that isn't right resulting in a bad tune, bad mileage and bad power.

Nice! Make sure you check with the others too(Gerst,RMS) never know what deals they have going on. Dennys is a nice kit for sure and won't steer you wrong.

Too big of a carb will kill power faster than too small of a carb. For "most" street engines, a 750 works great. You won't see the benefits of the larger 850 until high rpms. So essentially you're cruising around with an air/fuel mixture that isn't right resulting in a bad tune, bad mileage and bad power.
Gotta put my 2 cents in. A 187 oil pan is supposed to work , I think. But some have had to adjust it w/ a hammer a bit . I ran a 800 double pumper on a hot 383 and a 406 (chevys) and loved it, tuning was no big deal . A double pumper will get worse gas mileage , but out perform a vacuum secondary carb. And yes , it will out perform an edelbrock too, not to say an edel. 800afb won`t work and work pretty good tho! If fuel delivery becomes a problem on an AFB , it can be drilled and tapped to make a dual feed out of it. If u ever see a 750 afb with dual feed , it`s probably my old carb.

So no one here has changed over to a throttle body injection system ???

Screenshot_20171230-081113.png

Ok guess I'll go over and post in the fuel section to see which one is best. The new Holley looks killer

best for what?

like mentioned before, your looking at over $1000.00 to have one of these plumbed in and running

do these need more pressure then the mechanical pump you presumably have now?

you may need a whole new fuel delivery system, starting at the pick up in the tank, to make this work

if there is room in your budget for that, great (and in that case, get a hold of @Pace Performance on here, he might be able to cut you a deal)
but if not, then a second hand 750 might be best

(not trying to rain on your parade, or tell you how to build your car, just tossing some reasoning out there)

speaking of tossing, ow out tossing some pictures of this beast on here?

best for what?

like mentioned before, your looking at over $1000.00 to have one of these plumbed in and running

do these need more pressure then the mechanical pump you presumably have now?

you may need a whole new fuel delivery system, starting at the pick up in the tank, to make this work

if there is room in your budget for that, great (and in that case, get a hold of @Pace Performance on here, he might be able to cut you a deal)
but if not, then a second hand 750 might be best

(not trying to rain on your parade, or tell you how to build your car, just tossing some reasoning out there)

speaking of tossing, ow out tossing some pictures of this beast on here?
Guess I should have stated it has a electric fuel pump with a regulator in the engine bay ...doesn't look like a return system but plumbing that in wouldn't be to hard I don't think. And I was talking best throttle body delivery system... Best tuneable...price ...and overall reliability

-
Back