Problems?

-

BarryC

'74 Duster 360
Reaction score
Right now I'm running 3.91's with a Fairbanks 3000 converter. Against the brake it will stall about 2700 rpm. I'm getting tired of the higher rpms of the 3.91's. Since I put air-conditioning on it a couple of years ago I'm trying to drive it to more shows and cruises. I was thinking about swapping the entire rear housing out with the factory housing. It has the original 2.94's in it. I was wondering if I would have any problems with the size of the converter with these higher gears. Anyone with a similar experience with doing this?

Thats kind of what I was thinking, but I didn't want the stall speed to go a lot higher with this high of a gear installed.

It will flash stall somewhat higher cause the 2.94's won't get you moving as quick but brake stall should remain the same. As for drivability, that's hard to guess.

Driveability is my main concern. Love driving it more now. Use to didn't get any attention at shows, now I get lots. Nobody sees them anymore BBB and everyone has a story about one they were involved with. LOL.
Trying to give the engine a little break by lowering the rpm some and a little break to my wallet. For the record, I do remember it originally having a factory high stall converter in it. It had a little sticker on it that said high stall.

Converter is gonna slip more and produce more heat.

I'd just stick the 2:94 gear and a stock converter in the thing as long as the engine combo allows it.

-
Back