Procharger with hypertechnic pistons

-

72duster72

Reaction score
is it possible to use hyper technic distance with a small ProChawith meth injections it will have aluminum heads

Sure, it's possible with conservative boost levels and proper ring gaps. Hypereutectic's are stronger than cast pistons but more brittle because of the higher silicon content. You have to keep detonation under control.

Forged pistons are generally a better choice for boosted application.

ran Speedpro h405p hyper pistons in my 360 with Vortech V2 and 12 psi boost no problems.:burnout:

Water/methanol injection to quell detonation.
I've not read about hypers and boost, but I have read that the frequency of the nitrous detonation is bang on the destroy the piston.

LOL @ VB! Yep! Yea don't wanna screw that one up!

I ran 6PSI of boost and a 150 shot of N2O on hyperutectic pistons. No problems with the added cylinder pressure.
The 8,000+ RPM shifts blew the piston skirts off several pistons, up to and including the oil ring.

Stock 318 bottom end with 6PSI of boost and a 150 shot of spray.
Cast piston held up fine.
Hydrolock is what caused this damage.
Damn thing still started right up, lol.

Attachments

• -4.jpeg
    12.5 KB · Views: 432
As a rule if thumb I always build a performance engine with forged pistons! Hyper slugs are fine in an NA application , and make claims of being able to handle 600 hp. Spend your money take your chances? I have seen them come apart, Keith black hyper pistons have been bad from what I have seen!

Sure, it's possible with conservative boost levels and proper ring gaps. Hypereutectic's are stronger than cast pistons but more brittle because of the higher silicon content. You have to keep detonation under control.

Forged pistons are generally a better choice for boosted application.

What he said.

I just built a Procharged raised deck stroker. And hypereutectic pistons never crossed my mind. You don't have to do what I did and lay down some serious coin on custom Diamond pistons, but I definitely would do a good, solid forged piston. There is no point in messing around on a boosted rotating assembly... It will just end up costing you more money in the long run, I promise!

NO.

Even at modest boost levels just NO.

is it possible to use hyper technic distance with a small ProChawith meth injections it will have aluminum heads

Well, you have a over whellming response in favor of forged slug useage. IMO, it is a good idea. While you could get away with Hyper slugs, I think there have been enough posts above to dissuade you from there useage. Dispite what the magazines print. There dyno rooms are a controled test area that fine tune the engines to live with what they have.

I do not have the money for such things and the real world has changing weather conditions and sometimes, really crappy gasoline.

I do not have the money for such things and the real world has changing weather conditions and sometimes, really crappy gasoline.

At one time there were FM or TRW Hyper slugs for the 2.2 turbo engines. I had a set which failed in very short order and went round and round with the vendor who insisted that I must have detonated the engine.

Mind you under the same conditions the factory cast pistons never failed!

The vendor finally saw the light when a customers bone stock vehicle that they assembled broke. He stopped selling them after that and the company told him to go pound sand when he requested compensation for his customers.

My machinist with a 383 small block Chevy with a small blower?

The hyper pistons he used on dozens of circle track motor did not take well to forced induction. He found this out a month after I told him he was playing with fire. He was not a happy camper considering the motor was in his work truck. Memory is fuzzy but I think he found a skirt or two in the crankcase.

-
Back