Procomp heads passed inspection

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
Went to my local machine shop and got my new procomp heads checked out. The machinist checked spring pressure, valve seats, and dissassembled and reassembled everything. He said everything looked great. He offered some porting and polishing but he said that for the price I probably wouldn't want to do it. ($550.00) He was right. Now I just need to figure out what head gaskets and pushrods I need. If anyone is interested I will post pics of the heads.

That's a fantastic deal for port work. If he's good, you'll be kickin yourself.

Always good to hear when a part checks out good. Thanks for sharing your experience with
your purchase. So many bad reports from overseas products these days it is depressing.
Glad to hear a success story.
Let's hear about the rest of the engine.

Always good to hear when a part checks out good. Thanks for sharing your experience with
your purchase. So many bad reports from overseas products these days it is depressing.

My motor was more or less a gift from a friend. He sold me my 1972 340 freshly bored .030 over motor complete with J heads and Crane 509" cam for easy payments totaling $300.00. I ended up selling the J heads and bought some nicer X heads. I put this motor in my ''68 fastback 318 car. I was sorely disappointed for a while at the performance. The car was hit by a drunk 16 year old girl from behind and totaled. While taking that car apart for the parts I found out I was running 2:94 gears and a weak later model 904 trans.
As with some things it was a blessing in disguise because this lead to my discovery of a real 383 4-speed '69 Cuda body and tons of extra parts for $3000. The owner actually believed it was a small block car! Guess he never looked at the k-member or vin. That in turn lead me to needing a 4-speed for this car. I accidentally found a real 18-spline a body trans for $250.00! Yea, I didn't even know what I was buying until I researched the spline count to buy the clutch!
Some self proclaimed experts are not really experts when a noob like me scores without even trying. My next big score was brand new Mickey Thompson front runners for $100 pair. After that my super stock springs for $50.00. Then the guy I bought the car from turned around and gave me fiberglass bumpers and a heavy duty vintage Mr.Gasket shifter from the late 60's for $150. That was my bad luck/good luck run for a while.
Two years later (this year) I was driving my 2000 Chevy truck and was rear ended by an intoxicated illegal immigrant. Needless to say his insurance company was quick to pay me $3259.00 for the damage. It is a bent bumper and dented 1/4 panel. That is what I used to buy my ProComp heads and Intake and carb with that cost me $1300.00 and have my 3:91 sure grip unit built. Talk about making lemonade. Never give up on doing what you love.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 404
always good to hear when a part checks out good. Thanks for sharing your experience with

x2

Went to my local machine shop and got my new procomp heads checked out. The machinist checked spring pressure, valve seats, and dissassembled and reassembled everything. He said everything looked great. He offered some porting and polishing but he said that for the price I probably wouldn't want to do it. ($550.00) He was right. Now I just need to figure out what head gaskets and pushrods I need. If anyone is interested I will post pics of the heads.

$550 is a hell of a deal. I just paid $1250 for heads and intake.

-
Back