procomp ignition box

-

DDart1972

chris
Reaction score
Has anybody bought and used the procomp ignition box that sells on ebay? What's you experiences with them? They are $100.00 with a built in adjustable rev limiter and claim to be just as good if not better than MSD.

If so,i dont recommend you buying it.I bought one of there hei distributors for my dart with 318 engine.The distributor looks awsome,all pretty billet housing and all.It took less than about 5 min for it to self distruct.I took the cap off to check out why the car died,and there were nuts and bolts everywere,and springs,just all kinds of crap.I contacted them,and they said they would not refund my money,but they would be happy to inspect it,and if it was an issue covered by their warranty,they would send me another one.It took me almost 3 MONTHS to get the first one,after i paid for it.So i wasnt about to send it back.I bought a cheap msd hei dissy for a small block chevy,and robbed all the internals,cap,rotobutton,etc,and havent had another minuets problem with it.My buddy bought one of these distributors from them for a small ford,and it also didnt last but a week or so,eating up modules like crazy.He finally sent his back to them,and it took 6 months for them to send him another one back,that still dont work right.

I purchased a set of the gear drives and they sent an ignition box by accident and I never used it. I too am leary about using it.

better watch out for that computer and tv you are using cause it was not made in the usa.......

so your tv and computer is junk too?

Probably made in Japan and not China. BIG difference. China's been pumping out total crap and fudging documentation for years. It's a well known fact. And we still buy their crap.

Wylde1.

LOL,the china thing cracks me up!,most everything thats produced over there was designed here by an american company that then went over there to set up shop so the chineese can produce it cheaper and send it back here to be distributed for a higher profit margin.In other words its american companies looking to make a buck that are making china rich,to blame china is retarded.I have to say alot of the stuff is crap but then almost every rod and crank now is made offshore!-thats right even companies like crower are getting blanks from china-yep thats right finished here but the raw product comes from somewhere else.I will never use procomp though,a good guage is to look at what brands summit and jegs carry,if the company doesnt stand behind its product they wont carry it.

While there are a lot of companies have sent products to China, and some have still managed to keep quality decent, every review I've seen of a Procomp anything makes it pretty clear they ordered the factory there to keep things as cheap as possible and disregard quality. For example, I've heard reports of the wires coming out of the boxes not being automotive spec, and melting when exposed to underhood temperature.

I'm wearing my product development manager's hat as I type this: Matt C is correct. It's easier in Taiwan and South Korea, but it is absolutely possible to get good quality products out of China. It takes a great deal of dilligence; you have to winnow out the many job shops that aren't capable of adhering to specifications and doing careful work, but there are good, competent, honest job shops in mainland China, and there are auto parts of perfectly good quality coming from mainland China. There is, of course, also a great deal of the worst kind of garbage coming from mainland China. This is largely the fault of the American companies who either don't know how to do QA and QC with a Chinese manufacturer, or don't care/bother to do so because their first and only priority is low cost. What's even more interesting (and infuriating) is that the problems we see in America with Chinese auto parts are basically nonexistent in Europe and the many countries around the world (essentially every industrialised country outside North America) that use European auto safety regulations. Those regulations include type-approval tests to make sure any given part design meets the standards, and and conformity-of-production tests to make sure the series-production parts (not just the initial-production samples submitted for type approval) continue to meet the standards.

We don't have type approval or COP in North America; our regulations work on a "self certification" basis wherein the manufacturer or importer basically says "Yeah, yeah, we promise our stuff is OK" and unless dead bodies and twisted metal start piling up, the DOT usually won't check on it. So guess where auto parts that flunk TA/COP tests wind up getting sold? Guess which country the job shops incapable of adhering to standards and specs court their business? Right: America.

(Lead69, there's plenty of junk in the Summit catalogue. A "free replacement" guarantee is a sales gimmick; when you're stuck by the side of the road with a dead part, it's no good knowing you can get a free replacement for the crap whitebox no-name Chinese ignition box or voltage regulator or fuel pressure regulator or whatever you bought out of the Summit book.)

(Lead69, there's plenty of junk in the Summit catalogue. A "free replacement" guarantee is a sales gimmick; when you're stuck by the side of the road with a dead part, it's no good knowing you can get a free replacement for the crap whitebox no-name Chinese ignition box or voltage regulator or fuel pressure regulator or whatever you bought out of the Summit book.)[/QUOTE]

Yes,there is plenty of junk from just about every brand name and parts seller out there so it is up to the buyer to educate them selves first (hence this thread),but if a major reputable parts warehouse wont stock a single part from a company then thats a pretty good indicator that you dont want to buy from that company.Now let me clarify that Im talking about a company that mass produces parts of different types as obviously there are alot of excellent companies producing custom or higher end parts that are not well known or widley distributed.Also I will add that to be sold in a summit magazine there has to be a certain amount of reliability and credibilty with the product,they dont just sell anything,obviously they do sell some cheaper parts but for the buyer to expect them to perform with more expensive parts isnt realistic either.

i did use a msd 6al copy, it worked ok, dont think id use their heads, dizzys etc mind.electronics can be copied cheeply, worst case??? it stops working. an engineered piece however, you compramise on £££ it fails, it usually fu@@@s somthing else and bangs big time.

i did use a msd 6al copy, it worked ok, dont think id use their heads, dizzys etc mind.electronics can be copied cheeply, worst case??? it stops working. an engineered piece however, you compramise on £££ it fails, it usually fu@@@s somthing else and bangs big time.

Layman's terms

-
Back