Program Main Cap question.

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
I am strongly considering the program main caps for a 340 block to increase the power handeling.

Say I use a factory fordged 340 crank, H beam rods, Premium Fordged pistons max at .30 over, and the Program caps with all the proper machine work done.

What would the basic power handling and RPM range be for this shortblock?

Quite frankly unless your caps are missing I wouldn't bother. Personally I've yet to see a SB Mopar main cap fail. Use a set of ARP studs, have the mains line honed, and detail the caps. What I mean by detail is grinding down all the rough edges and corners. Use a sanding roll on a die grinder. Eliminating the stress risers on the caps will do alot for strength. If you just gotta have Pro Grams don't use the 4 bolt caps. Not enough meat in the block where the additional bolts go. Every time I hear about a block failure it had 4 bolts caps installed on it.

A 2 bolt Program block with caps on #1-4 and studs will hold up to 600hp. Like Skrews I don't bother with 4-bolt caps and I don't use girdles. But I do use the Program 2-bolt caps with main studs. I use them because the caps can deform under load at those levels and if any detonation creaps in. the effects of the movement is visible on the mating surfaces and the bearings. Studs alone will hold up to 550 with a good crank and good machining. Beyond 600 you start to get issues with the head gaskets and cylinder integrity in addition to the cap flex and at that point just get a better block.

-
Back