Progress has been made!! Cage and connectors

-

Penstarpurist

Reaction score
Well my son and I accomplished what I would say was a tremendous undertaking of progress on the car the last couple days. While I have never installed a roll cage before or subframe connectors, we got it done. Fortunatly my son is a solid welder and I can read a tape measure. Lol. Plymouth duster 400bb/727 Richmond 4:11 sure grip 8 3/4. We installed the jegs 10 point roll cage with the exception of the door crossbars, as my son and wife want the door swing out kits installed as they refuse to crawl over the bars getting in and out. So, got to order them up and get them in. Subframe connectors we fab'd up in our shop, installed through the floor. And, as if that was impressive enough, we also installed the new champion radiator. I would never have attempted the roll cage and subframe connectors without the info with pictures found here. Thanks guys. And of course progress is not progress without the pictures to show for it.
20180518_175320.jpg
20180518_175607.jpg
20180518_175631.jpg
20180518_175644.jpg
20180518_175657.jpg
20180518_175934.jpg
20180518_175951.jpg
20180518_175302.jpg

Looking good! Are you going to install electric fans?
Thanks. Yeah. I am planning to put a pair of 9" or 10" electric fans in. If I can get one large mechanical fan to fit and have proper clearance I might go that route. But really think that dual electric fans are the better way to go.

If it's a street car try to stick with a mechanical fan and shroud.

Thanks. Yeah. I am planning to put a pair of 9" or 10" electric fans in. If I can get one large mechanical fan to fit and have proper clearance I might go that route. But really think that dual electric fans are the better way to go.
I run dual fans and electric water pump. It makes it nice to cool the car down on hot days at the track.

As much as I like the simplicity and reliability of the mechanical fan in if the car is running the fan is spinning. Space is a concern. I know that there are guys that run mechanical units. I think with the three core radiator and just overall thicker design of the champion brand it may kill the possibility of a mechanical unit. Unless I use a slant 6 four blade straight fin. Which of course probably wouldn't move enough air. Though I know my son runs a 4 blade straight with no shroud on his small block with a champion 3 core and has never come close to running even mildly hot. I'm going to figure out today what my options fully are.

After calling the local hot rod fan shop and them saying $1200 to start with for building a complete roll cage. Then the guy told me that I was honestly way better off to buy a prefabricated kit and having someone that could weld do it. I even priced a guy that has a mobile welding company. $75.00 an hour. It took my son and I twelve hours to trim to fit and weld in the cage, including building the subframe connectors and installing them. I'm sure a guy that welds for a living could do it quicker, and probably way better of a job. But I think it will pass inspection and hopefully if we ever need the benefit of having it, it will work as intended.

-
Back