Project - /6 Beater

-
So what do you guys think? Should I put the mid-body stripe back on it like the original one or should I do the upper body Twister/340 style?

With the black roof line coming down so close to the top of the quarter panel, I would give more separation and use the mid-body stripes.

Jerry

Man this is an inspiration right now! I have started shooting primer on the Valiant just to get it to be one shade of grey! Looks great man!
Oh as for the stripe. What about the kind of stripe that was on later Road Runners, where it tied into the painted top. Might be interesting.

:cheers:
It looks awesome.

It is begging for a set of wheels....any direction there?

Thanks. No direction yet on the wheels - suffering from CLF disease right now (Chronic Lack of Funds) :-D First thing I plan on doing it the interior. The fugly seats are now drving me crazy. If I had any cash I'd be hitting the junkyard tomorrow - it's 1/2 price Tuesday at one of the local Pull Your Own Parts yards.

wow it looks nice and it looks like you are finished before me! :cool:!,a set of rally's would make the paint job look even better!.

It's no where near finished but it is my daily driver. I've still got to cut in the jambs, under hood, and trunk. Plus my interior is pretty beat up and needs some serious attention. But I just could not stand having it looking so ugly when I knew it would only take me a a day or so to radically alter it's personality.

Looks Good!!! I think it would look great with the 340/twister side stripes and the tail panel blackout. Now you just gotta loose that green interior though.

I just could not stand having it looking so ugly when I knew it would only take me a a day or so to radically alter it's personality.

May I make a request?
Most people fear body work. Since you were able to get such a quick turn around, would you mind giving a breakdown, on what and how you did it so quickly, and a rough cost on materials and supplies. I think there are lots of people out there that have straight or minimal needs on body work, that get their stuff to paint much quicker, but have a pre conceived notion that decent paint costs 5000.00, when in reality it could be done much less, quicker, and better.

Okay - Big improvement today, Put some stripes on her :-D I did have one big oops though - I wet sanded and buffed out some of the runs in the paint and f'n burned through some of the paint in one of the fenders. Oh well, guess I will have to re-spray that later on. For now, she is still just a beater so I will live with it.

Next up, I have to do something about the interior....

striped 1.jpg

striped 2.jpg

striped 3.jpg

striped 4.jpg

striped 5.jpg

"Beater" my ***, that's friggin sharp!

Thanks. The main reason I am calling it my Beater is because it is my daily driver and anything I do to it must be done in time to drive it home (including the paint job - I actually drove it home that night).

I am going to concentrate on the interior next. I already have a back seat cover for it so it will be time to break out the hog rings and pliers here shortly. The front seat is so worn out that a simple re-cover wil not work. It needs tons of foam work as well. That is one of the reasons I am considering putting in either a set of aftermarket or an "incorrect" set of buckets from the junk yard like Neon or Cavalier ones. Basically, whichever is cheaper will be what she gets.

Thanks. The main reason I am calling it my Beater is because it is my daily driver and anything I do to it must be done in time to drive it home (including the paint job - I actually drove it home that night).

I am going to concentrate on the interior next. I already have a back seat cover for it so it will be time to break out the hog rings and pliers here shortly. The front seat is so worn out that a simple re-cover wil not work. It needs tons of foam work as well. That is one of the reasons I am considering putting in either a set of aftermarket or an "incorrect" set of buckets from the junk yard like Neon or Cavalier ones. Basically, whichever is cheaper will be what she gets.

Thats what I done with a 72 Charger "beater" I had. I went to a local yard (if you pull the parts yourself they are cheeper) I bought a pair of buckets out of a 98 Intrepid for 50 Bucks. They looked pretty good in that car. If you do decide to go that route, I'd get the seats out of a 2-Door Neon or Cavilier so they will lean foward so passengers can get to the back seat (My Intrepid seats did not do that)

Anyways your projects looking great, keep up the good work!!!

Jason

Thats what I done with a 72 Charger "beater" I had. I went to a local yard (if you pull the parts yourself they are cheeper) I bought a pair of buckets out of a 98 Intrepid for 50 Bucks. They looked pretty good in that car. If you do decide to go that route, I'd get the seats out of a 2-Door Neon or Cavilier so they will lean foward so passengers can get to the back seat (My Intrepid seats did not do that)

Anyways your projects looking great, keep up the good work!!!

Jason

Jason,

Thanks for the tip on the 2 door buckets. Not sure i would have thought about that...

Yeah, Gary, with the way that car is turning out, you may need to use a term other than "beater". I'm glad you chose the mid-body stripes. Are those some of the ones you make yourself?

I used some Cavalier seats in a Jeep one time. They were fairly comfortable, had a decent shape that would look OK in these A-bodies, and they tilted forward - a must for getting in the back seat.

Jerry

Jerry,

Yes, I made these stipes myself. I used the original ones on the car as a template. I've got a couple of little things I want to fix on them before I make any for sale but it is getting prety close.

Well, didn't really get anything done on the Beater this week. Spent my spare time working on one of my other projects - a 72 RR clone that I have up for sale - 3k obo as she sits 8)

pass side7.jpg

pass side3.JPG

drvr side1.jpg

drvr side2.jpg

pass side10.jpg

front stripes8.jpg

Good news I sold my 72 RR clone (just waiting on final payment)! It's heading to Switzerland.

Also, The Beater got a new front seat today. I actually found an extremely nice A-Body bench seat on Craigslist for $100! It is nearly perfect and the patern matches the Legendary seat covers I picked up for the back. I just need to dye it black which I plan on doing when I re-cover the bak and install new carpet.

Wow, just realized I haven't updated this in over a month. Here are a few new pics of the Beater. I've instaled new carpeting, painted the dash & upper door panels semi-gloss black, and installed the new front bnch seat. I am going to dye the seat black in the next week or two plus get the back seat recovered. The seat covers I bought turned out to be the wrong ones - they were entirely too small. Oh well, I guess that's the joy of vague ebay descriptions.

I am also planning on respraying the yellow as I am not 100% satisfied with it. I figure once the RR clone is out of my shop and on it's way to Switzerland, I'll sand and shoot the Beater again.

carpet and dash1.JPG

carpet and dash2.JPG

carpet and dash3.jpg

carpet and dash4.jpg

-
Back