Project - /6 Beater

-
well, shopped around to get the back seat re-covered and then figured I'd try ebay one more time. Guess what? I found someone selling a brand new Legendary Seat cover for the exact pattern I need. Best of all, I will save about $250 versus having it covered by an upholstery shop. Time to break out the hog rings :cheers:

cool project. i just picked up a 74 gold duster that is rust free. its going to be a cruiser. not really a daily driver, but no show car. bought it with a "blown" up slant. have everything for a 400 swap. i got it running, as i had my doubts old slanty was bad. it had a shake and no power. my buddy pretty much bet it had some bent pushrods. pulled the valve cover off, sur enough 3 of them. he donated a a tank and some radials, so far i put about 100 in it and i think im ready to go. ill have to get some pics up.

oh yeah, if your going tosell the gold duster stripe templates, definitely let me know. mines got the funky tape moulding that has to go.

You really did a great job in a short time. I love seeing guys do their own work out of home shops. Kudos to you!

great looking car by the way was looking at it i love those duster sadly funds ran low instead of selling my valiant wagon i sold my 73 duster i have a few parts leftover gauge clusters mostly.holla if u need ne

Well, I've finally dyed the door panels and front seat plus recovered the back seat. Only problem now is, some dishrag stole my digital camera a couple of weeks ago when I was installing some stripes on an '06 Mustang GT :angry7:

Okay, still no new digital camera and had a nice little "setback" last night - we got clobbered by a vicious hail storm the bounced bigger than golfball sized hail off the Beater. Some people in our town reported baseball sized hail :cussing: She's got about a dozen or more fresh dings on her now :cussing: I was planning on re-sparying her anyway but now I have to add a little more body work to the mix - daggumit! :cussing:

Sorry to hear the bad new's But on the bright side your glass held up.
I miss painting, its the d.a work and blocking I don't miss.

Jesus, Baseball size hail????? That really sucks. Sorry to hear about that. I have somehow missed this thread. WOW!!!!! You are really getting that car looking real nice, real fast. I'm very impressed on your painting skills as well. Totally cool.

Yeah, we get some pretty wicked weather around here. Coming from South Florida it's quite a change. Thanks for the compliments.

Had something interesting pop up - a 73 Scamp /6 that runs & drives and basically comes with a free 5.7 Hemi (that needs a rebuild). Thinking about selling the Duster and picking up the Scamp as a new Beater. And rebuilding the Hemi in my spare time as a new engine for my Ram Charger...

Maybe I'll post a WIW thread and what everyone thinks the Duster is worth. It still needs a little more work but what the heck, I am already seeing a Plum Crazy Scamp sitting in my driveway (I must be having some sort of reaction to my dinner - now I am halucinating)

Welllll, long story short - I repainted the Beater this week. Between the hail storm that beat up the black hood and the fact that I was not 100% please with the color, I decided to repaint the all of the yellow and also redid the hood in yellow now too. I think it looks 100x's better now and can't wait to post some pics...

FINALLY - I thought we lost my wife's camera but we found it!! Here are some updated pics of the "Beater" now dubbed the "Lemon Twister" :cheers:

drvr side1.JPG

drvr side2.JPG

drvr side3.JPG

drvr side4.JPG

drvr int1.JPG

pass sdie1.JPG

pass side2.JPG

pass side3.JPG

pass side4.JPG

engine1.JPG

As you can see in the pics - it been a little overcast around here. Hopefully, the weather will clear up by this weekend as I plan on cleaning it up and taking it to it's first show

engine2.JPG

engine3.JPG

front1.JPG

rear1.JPG

rear2.JPG

The redo looks much better to me than the first paint scheme. Nice job on it.

I like the ladder stripe on the raised hood area. Just a subtle break up of the color.

Now, I REALLY need to save up and get some wheels on this thing LOL!

Oh man, at least take the hubcaps off! Every time I see those it reminds me of an old lady that lived next door. She had the plain brown wrapper Duster with those hubcaps. It wasn't the Duster's finest hour, let me tell you.

How does the battery stay upright?

How about this:
Have the tires turned around at local tire shop.
Ditch the hub caps.
Add a 1.25 billet spacer on the rear to push the black steelies out, for a more muscular stance?

-
Back