Project car (what was I thinking?)

-

Woodys_Cuda

Ontario, Canada
Reaction score
It was about 20 years ago when I decided to try and save a '67 Barracuda Formula S. It was rough .. I spent over a year patching floor pans, replacing the rear frame rails, trunk pan, torsion bar supports, rocker panels and inner fenders. At that point it still needed new rear quarters/extensions, fenders patched and door panel work. I FINALLY got frustrated and gave up on it. Duhh... I decided to look for a car in good condition instead ( best decision ever! lol.).

I wonder how many other members have been there and done that with a project car.

I have one now that has been around since the 70's. It has changed hands among friends,no money ever exchanged,and has done full circle back to me again. Almost got started on it again but I think I have it sold.
Who knows maybe it's gonna stick around for a few more years.

It was about 20 years ago when I decided to try and save a '67 Barracuda Formula S. It was rough .. I spent over a year patching floor pans, replacing the rear frame rails, trunk pan, torsion bar supports, rocker panels and inner fenders. At that point it still needed new rear quarters/extensions, fenders patched and door panel work. I FINALLY got frustrated and gave up on it. Duhh... I decided to look for a car in good condition instead ( best decision ever! lol.).

I wonder how many other members have been there and done that with a project car.
Not quite ready to give up, although I want to push it over a cliff.......And I've only been at it for 4 years......(Wish I would have never started)

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

20220201_200137.jpg
20220201_200233.jpg
20220201_200251.jpg
20220201_200339.jpg
I have one right now. I wanted a 73 Dart 340 Sport, manual transmission, and with sunroof and folding rear seat. In the early 2000s, I bought a 74 Hang Ten with 360 auto a/c car but decided it wasn't what I really wanted. Sold it. Then came across this 73 Sport automatic. Advertised as cold natured and needing quarter panels. Seems like a big lopey cam with a tight converter. I would not drive it like that. The car had been stripped to bare metal, improperly refinished with the entire left side coated with a thin layer of bondo. The primer was sanded through on the ridges which has rust spots along those lines. The brown paint blended with the rust color. The paint could be pulled off with a piece of tape. The car has sat in my garage for 7 years so far. I have just started taking it apart last summer.

I saved a 69 cuda drop top 30 years ago. Super rare, BUT timing is everything(garage, income, time). So I took a HUGE loss on it, but I realized it was time to let it go to focus on Dads 67. The 69 was complete when I bought it less engine but needed a FULL resto.

I saved a 69 cuda drop top 30 years ago. Super rare, BUT timing is everything(garage, income, time). So I took a HUGE loss on it, but I realized it was time to let it go to focus on Dads 67. The 69 was complete when I bought it less engine but needed a FULL resto.
Kudos for knowing when it is time to let go. Hard to believe this stuff actually causes stress...but it does. There are times when I would rather clean the toilet than to go out to the shop.

I wonder how many people dump project cars not because they lack time or money, but because they got in over their heads and were not able to do the work. Don't buy a project car unless you can do at least most of the work yourself.

Lol true about toilet cleaning. Everytime I looked at the 69 and saw its shape, I could not help but think about the time and $$ invested and the current shape. All the while Dads 67 was at a buddies being neglected lol. For me it was a burden and contributed to my depression. You got the skills to get yours done Troy and the "finish" line is close!
Kudos for knowing when it is time to let go. Hard to believe this stuff actually causes stress...but it does. There are times when I would rather clean the toilet than to go out to the shop.

I don't know if I would have the patience now to do another big project, maybe if I was no longer needing to work and could focus my time on the project instead of earning a living and trying to find the time and energy to do a big restoration/restomod project.
In the meantime, this is as good as it's gonna get.
20190511_165602.jpg
Message_1568336534041.jpg

I’m at that point with my ‘70 Dart build. The metal work is done. But no money for paint. Im ready to give up.

I wonder how many people dump project cars not because they lack time or money, but because they got in over their heads and were not able to do the work. Don't buy a project car unless you can do at least most of the work yourself.

Check it over real good, The original motor had even been replaced with a 318 dressed up to look like a 273. I got in over my head, the car was a basket case (rust). I did manage to sell it off. I was much happier buying one that was in good shape to begin with.

I also agree we should to try and save them if we can. Troy's is a good work in progress and that should be encouraged.

I could give a rip mechanically but it has to be straight! Body work is not my forte....Interior should be complete too. I can recover and rebun but searching for missing dash parts, meh.

I did my Hardtop 1st. I would go out after dinner to work and would look at it and go back in the house. Overwhelmed. Then I said to myself, don't look at everything and try to do one thing a day even if it was 5 minutes. Well once out there the 5 min. turned into hours on it's own . We all know this work isn't for the faint of heart.
On and on it goes. Hang in there or I'll buy from you for a song !

5.jpg

23.jpg

50.jpg

57.jpg

59.jpg

118.jpg

153.jpg

20200924_141011.jpg

Took 8 years to do my hardtop. No money, fixed ,bought,sold snow blowers and lawnmowers and side jobs to buy most everything. My Ragtop I sold my Harley and banged it out in 2 years.

-
Back