Project Midnight Swinger

-
Do you have a company near you that you can buy from and not have to pay shipping. I was looking at hoods and shipping was insane
No, I got up at 3 am last Thursday and drove to LA (6 hours)to pick it up from a fellow Mopar brother.

When stinger was still selling these hoods it was almost $1100 shipped with tax to my door, and the hood was only $750! I paid 1/3 of that, but it was a hell of a drive.

I did spend almost $200 just in fuel and gas station Indian food though!

IMG_3754.jpeg

IMG_3757.jpeg

71459951495__DE4B7A65-F6C2-4348-93D1-DFD84D37EF77.jpeg

No, I got up at 3 am last Thursday and drove to LA (6 hours)to pick it up from a fellow Mopar brother.

When stinger was still selling these hoods it was almost $1100 shipped with tax to my door, and the hood was only $750! I paid 1/3 of that, but it was a hell of a drive.

View attachment 1716135391

View attachment 1716135392

View attachment 1716135393
I'm glad you're alive after that gas station food lol.
That's a badass hood, I'm glad you got a great deal on it.

Sorry Jared posted this in the wrong thread. We were talking about wasps and hornets and I didn’t pay attention. :eek:

Deleted it didn’t want to mess up your thread. People will say WTH does this have to do with your build :lol:

View attachment 1716135391

View attachment 1716135392

View attachment 1716135393
Good for you - you did well!! And you'll love the 6-pack hood!

Sorry Jared posted this in the wrong thread. We were talking about wasps and hornets and I didn’t pay attention. :eek:

Deleted it didn’t want to mess up your thread. People will say WTH does this have to do with your build :lol:
You’re my boy, post whatever the hell you want in my thread!

These are some cheater pics, I still need to run the e brake cables, and plumb the rear brakes. But I just had to get it off jack stands.

This was a lot of work and I had a bunch of help from my Mopar buddies. It feels good to have the rear end/brakes/spring offset done.

The wheels are 15x8 with 4” BS. I’m just inside the lip and a bunch of room to the spring. I might have room for 10” wide wheels. Tires are just rollers, 235/60r15. The plan is at least a 275/60r15 and maybe a 295/60r15.

IMG_3873.jpeg

IMG_3874.jpeg

IMG_3875.jpeg

IMG_3876.jpeg

image.jpg

Also getting started on patching the passenger floor. I was going to replace the whole pan but it’s decently solid. Just this one thin little spot with a couple holes.

image.jpg

image.jpg

that's the same place i had to repair on my valiant floor, i was lucky as it was the only rust hole on the entire car.
neil.
Very common because of the crappy wiper pivot seals IMO.

I’m not quite as fortunate as you, I’ve got some rust here and there. I’m still lucky though, the car is from the western part of Washington state where it’s very wet.

The only stuff I’m fixing before it’s running is the passenger floor and the trunk. But I’ve got a little in the front passenger fender and the quarter panels.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nothing like our Canadian and North Eastern US members deal with. Do they salt the roads where you are in winter time?
oh yes, unfortunately. it seems nobody knows how to drive on packed snow or ice these days. their modern 'driver aid' equipped cars that won't move when sensing a tiny bit of wheelspin don't help either. what is the world coming to, driving in slippery conditions should be part of the driving test really but here it's not.
neil.

oh yes, unfortunately. it seems nobody knows how to drive on packed snow or ice these days. their modern 'driver aid' equipped cars that won't move when sensing a tiny bit of wheelspin don't help either. what is the world coming to, driving in slippery conditions should be part of the driving test really but here it's not.
neil.
I’m originally from Southern California, I didn’t see snow until I was eight years old. I can drive in the snow.I feel like as a driver everyone should know how to control a spin. I hate traction control, I usually turn it off if I can. I can’t stand the automatic braking either.

Good news and bad news from the machine shop. The good news is that the short block is done, and it looks great.

The bad news is the speedmaster Victor heads I bought used need a bunch of work. The intake valves are the wrong length and 1 exhaust valve is the wrong length. So new valves, and the seats were too small, so more machine work…

I’m throwing the towel in on them. Im looking into my options. I’m bummed but I don’t want to keep pumping money into these heads just for more ob$tacles $how up $$$$. Hahaha.

It’s time to make a decision.

IMG_3908.jpeg

IMG_3907.jpeg

if the heads were cheap just consider them as 'bare' heads. now fit quality components to them and you're sorted. you could say ''better the devil you know''. at least once built you know exactly what you have rather than buy another pair and not know what's there and go through it again with a second pair.
neil.

if the heads were cheap just consider them as 'bare' heads. now fit quality components to them and you're sorted. you could say ''better the devil you know''. at least once built you know exactly what you have rather than buy another pair and not know what's there and go through it again with a second pair.
neil.
Just want to say I really appreciate you following this build, you have offered several ideas and sound advice.

I like your thinking and I was texting @MOPARMAGA and he pretty much said the same thing. I feel like my machinist has a good feel for these heads and what it will take to correct them now.

Got in touch with Michael at B3 Racing Engines, and have asked Neal(machinist) if he would take some measurements for the geometry correction.

These heads will definitely be dialed in for the 383 by the time we are done. I’m excited to move forward with the build.

-
Back