Project old blue

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
Old blue my 68 Dart 270 is getting a rebuilt suspension and some 73 disc brakes to help her stop. I have to thank a couple members here as they really helped me pull this off on somewhat of a budget. I bought the 73 control arms and spindles from challengergary with new bushings and ball joints at a very reasonable price. Then was notified on the forum by another member Duster731 that there was a 73 dart with the rotors and calipers I needed at a nearby pick a part.

I also had some new skinny front wheels made up with the bigger bolt pattern that will work perfect with the dog dish style caps. I know there not good on the street but I like the big n little look. Since its a little wet out side and I can't paint. I'm taking a little break to share, but I also have a couple guestions.

I would like to see some pictures of front brake lines on the 73 and later style disc with the caliper mounted on the back of the spindle. Think I'm going to have some made up and not quite sure of the length or how to run them.

I also need a new master cylinder and was thinking about asking for a 73 dart with disc brakes master, but I would prefer the newer aluminum/plastic master style if it will fit. Anybody know what car those came on and if they will fit? Seems like I needed an adapter when I did this on another a body car a few years back.

Attachments

• 68 Dart 031.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 68 Dart 038.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 68 Dart 039.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 68 Dart 040.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 158
Who made up the skinnies for you or did you do it yourself?

I've had a hard time finding the skinny wheel shells

I like the way your car sits. That's how I want the Dart I'm putting together to sit/rake.

For hoses with rear mount calipers, I use aspen/volare hoses. Check them for binding.

I like the way your car sits. That's how I want the Dart I'm putting together to sit/rake.

For hoses with rear mount calipers, I use aspen/volare hoses. Check them for binding.

'78- early 80's GM G-bodys had like 15x4 spare tire wheel rims, if you could redrill your rotors or use the outter rim part, I sold a couple of those 15x4 rims to a rat rod dude on ebay for $150.00 a few years back..

I had Chariot Spring Co. 909-357-8195 out of Bloomington do them. Went to pick a part found some 15" wheels with the correct bolt pattern and that the 9" dog dish's would fit. 70's and 80's Dodge vans seem to be good donors.

Then Chariot had the rings/shells but said they can't get anymore (might have a couple left). However I found out that the 15" donut spare tires have the correct rings/shells that will work with the van centers. Merge the two wheels and you will have the 15"X3.5" skinny front rims

I'm no painter but I can see doing the wheels is going to make me want to paint the whole car!

Attachments

• 68 Dart 041.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 119

I like the look too. Sometimes I think that back looks to low but it goes right along with the wore out gramma car look.

On the calipers I put the bleeders to the top but that puts the brake line exit towards the spindle. Seems like it would work better swaping the calipers side to side with the brake line exiting the rear of the caliper away from the spindle. I'm just worried they may not bleed very good that way as the bleeders are not at the top with the calipers mounted this way.

-
Back