Project Plain Jane

-
Forged 440 crank and LY rods. Sorry for the shoddy rod pic.My hands were shaking bad that day. An occasional symptom I seem to get only when in great pain or fatigue.

Attachments

• forged 440 crank.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,261
  • LY rods.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,303
Sorry for the recycled pics guys but I kinda felt these belonged in the thread as they are part of the build. Seeing how it's -24 C outside tonight and I like the current color of my privates,I wont be posting much in the way of progress pics. I do have a brake caliper apart and on the bench but no pics ,and the bench is ,"ahem" a whee bit messy...I need to whip it into shape first.

You can get the feel for the direction of this build.I plan on using many stock or modded parts. I also kinda dream of a single big turbo on this combo running no more than 15 psi.With custom forged pistons it should handle it no problem. Nice thought for the future!

I really like these american outlaw rims. I have a set in big bolt pattern and am thinking of redrilling them for sbp and then getting the rear rims widened and rebuilt withe the correct offset for inboard springs.My rims are a bit older model and have 10 holes instead of 12. I traded some steel cop car rims for them.

Attachments

• american outlaw rim.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,170
Nice crank. Can I have it? LMAO

Nice crank. Can I have it? LMAO

YUP! Whatever you want..Can I shave about 70 lbs from it before shipping? GAWD it's a heavy piece! Been sitting in that box since I brought it home. Not very cuddly so it stayed there...

OK I survived the morning well,didnt need meds until about 11:30. Felt good enough to snap some pics today! Was only maybe 3-4 celcius today,made it nice to sneak out.

So here we go!

Vin tage. Cant see a whole lot,need to clean it off. I do know it's a low price class 318 Dart.
IMG_1137.jpg

Heres a sticker.

IMG_1135.jpg

Some engine bay shots.

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

OK so this poor thing is inside a leaky garage. Im currently hunting for a good water proof tarp until the roof can be repaired in he spring.

The 318/904 are long gone.motor I gave to a buddy in need,tranny went to my cop car. Still have the 318 Y pipe and manifolds. Thier solid and will end up in the parts for sale section.

This is the walker Dynomax super hemi turbo blah blah blah. It was installed 17 years ago and still looks useable,as does the tailpipe installed at the same time. Gave the little teen a nice rumble with an rv grind cam.

IMG_1128.jpg

I really like dynomax hemi turbo's! They sound just great.I'll be upgrading the exhaust to big 3" duals so if this muffler cleans up nice I'll shelve it.

Heres the 8 3/4 differential.I think it might just get pulled soon.it's a s good a place as any to get started and it wont be affected in the least if it has to sit and wait for a while while the rest gets done.

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

It has a pinion snubber! A bonus item for sure. Between the snubber and coilover shocks I had good traction. Even though the diff is a peg leg!

IMG_1121.jpg

I might skip the cal trac bar setup and ask the spring guy if he thinks he can build me ss springs to use with the snubber.

Now for the really gross stuff.

Believe it or not,this headliner used to be black. I opened the door and almost puked. I will wear gloves,mask and long sleeves when yanking this thing out!

IMG_1117.jpg

Im very fond of this steering wheel and plan on repairing it. It's supposed to be black too.

IMG_1115.jpg

This is my grille,not a sharks tooth.Im a big fan of the blacked out version,so will do this for my Dart. There,are a few broken mounting ears but I have the pieces. Should be a snap to fix.

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

Heres a good condition 2 core rad. Im thinking it's a 318 or 360 rad. It does have a pentastar on it and the rad # is 4089460. There are other #'s but 5 and 6 digit.

I looked at my rad # list but it only goes to 74,so if I had to guess I'd say it's late 70's. I'm going to get a quote on a 3 core rebuild. I think the shroud can be fibreglassed back into usefullness,but I also have a spare shroud.

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

Believe it or not,this headliner used to be black. I opened the door and almost puked. I will wear gloves,mask and long sleeves when yanking this thing out!

IMG_1117.jpg

Im very fond of this steering wheel and plan on repairing it. It's supposed to be black too.

IMG_1115.jpg

This is my grille,not a sharks tooth.Im a big fan of the blacked out version,so will do this for my Dart. There,are a few broken mounting ears but I have the pieces. Should be a snap to fix.

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

Heres a good condition 2 core rad. Im thinking it's a 318 or 360 rad. It does have a pentastar on it and the rad # is 4089460. There are other #'s but 5 and 6 digit.

I looked at my rad # list but it only goes to 74,so if I had to guess I'd say it's late 70's. I'm going to get a quote on a 3 core rebuild. I think the shroud can be fibreglassed back into usefullness,but I also have a spare shroud.

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

Anyone have a clue about this rad for curiousities sake?

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

And a bump for the morning crowd! I also cleared about 3 lb,s worth of fasteners and junk from my shop bench,so I'll see if I can get some pics today.

:cheers:I popped the caliper open today ! Good news is they are rebuildable. 340superdart is sending along some rebuild kits!:cheers: Thanks Bob! And for the valve covers! Will be my only bling on the motor so far.

This half is already apart..

IMG_1138.jpg

The other half was tough.It took two pry bars,lots of pb blaster and eventually grabbed the piston lip with vise grips. It had about 1/8 to come out so I just gave the piston a little twist and it came out! This is an easy test for me.I passed but the whole time muscles were wanting to lock up.

IMG_1140.jpg

They came out!

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

Ready for clean up! Im doing one side at a time so I wont get parts swapped around.

IMG_1143.jpg

Next step is out to the solvent tank for a clean up,then to the blasting cabinet.

God Im hurtin now!

This is the 400 Chris is donating for my Dart! It's fairly fresh,has a comp 268 cam but otherwise stock. He is also throwing a 750 Holley in and some better valve springs. It's never been thrashed so should be a nice cruise motor while I get the 451 built.

Thanks Chris! you've done more than provide an engine.You've lifted me up!

Attachments

• chris 400.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 1,215
Well the local rad shop is closed so I guess it will be a new aluminum rad eventually. I was going to get one of my 3 rads built with an extra core...oh well. That guy did awesome work.

I managed to pull apart the other caliper. All the bores look great! I managed to mangle half of the dust boots.

OOOPS!
IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

I got some evaporust at Canadian tire tonight for the calipers. Im thinking it will be much gentler than blasting. Should have em cleaned treated and painted soon.

This project is officially moving into resto mode!

YAY!!! Good to see you finally making progress! If I'm not, at least somebody is!

Let me know how the evaporust works.

YAY!!! Good to see you finally making progress! If I'm not, at least somebody is!

Let me know how the evaporust works.

LOL! Thanks. It's a bout time and strokerscamps help thread kickstarted me! Then I got sick from some kind of ebola virus for a couple days.

Im now back on it. As donated parts come in,Im going to try and use them right away. The calipers are apart and will get done this week barring my rebeliouse body! Plus Im waiting on rebuild kits..

I picked up Doug's inboard spring kit from Bill @RMS! today.The diff is the last major component to come out and I cant do em myself anymore. I'll try to get young Mike who helped on the 400 drivetrain pull cause he's big and strong,lol!:toothy10:

This in board spring project will make it all very real for me. It's a major step forward in the direction I want!

O.K kids are in bed and all the chaos is done. I got the stuff out of the van today about 10 p.m.Reason being is I had a MASSIVE nap after running across the border as I also xmas shopped at the mall for about 1 hr. So now i Get to do my stuff!

Here is the RMS inboard spring relocation kit. First I have to say to Inkjunkie;

My friend you have helped make this a reality and not just a dream. Every part helps soooo much and the kit is a critical thing for my build. The near stock 400 wont do much but the traction will be there for the future. I can move the wheel wells inboard now as well and be completely ready!

Thank you Doug:cheers:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_1160.jpg
Boxes,tubes and spring perches.

IMG_1161.jpg

This is the reason I chose to go withe the RMS kit when Doug ave me an option. I really like the additional holes for moving the front of the spring about.

IMG_1162.jpg

Really nice tig welding! Quality stuff Bill.. There are no sharp edges and everything is precise.There is a nice premium feel to the pieces!I'll be happy to spend $$ with you if I get the chance.

Hi again folks! Caliper is soaking as I type. I JUSt put them into a container and poured in the evaporust! % gallon pail was too tight so I used a small plastic beta fish tank that isnt used for anything now. I could start to see results in 5 minutes!!! Large patches of rust were turning grey.

I completely disassembled them. Bleeder screw etc were very easy to remove after a long soak in solvent,didnt need force or heat.

I'll let them soak for 2 hours and check! Rinsing is the only step needed after that.

The second caliper is in the solvent tank and I'll pull it out when this one is clean and ready. Paint will be VHT hi temp caliper paint in red with a coat of primer first!

I'll need to chuck the bolts etc in too.

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg
5 gallon pail isnt quite wide enough!

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg