Project Report: Bluetooth Radio Build

-

Greg D.

Reaction score
Greetings all,
I thought I’d post my Bluetooth radio build, as I am pretty happy with the results. To be fair, I stood on the shoulders of giants (members here) and worked on two different projects I read about. These two links were my inspiration:

Bluetooth radio build.
[FOR SALE] - I'm back with my dual 3.5" speaker brackets

A big shout out to Jerry (‘74 Sport’) for his awesome speaker bracket.

I have a ‘64 Dart GT convertible, that came with a ‘65 AM radio from the previous owner. First I took the speaker bracket from Jerry, drilled screw holes, painted, then mounted two 3.5” speakers.

I had an AM Radio that came from a ‘63 Dart. I pulled out the inners, keeping (1) the tuning mechanism (just so it turned the dial) and (2) the shaft from the power knob.

I installed a Bluetooth module from Amazon. I took the shaft from the power knob, and notched it out with a Dremel so that it would slot into the knob on the BT module. A little epoxy and it holds and turns. Admittedly the notch wasn’t 100% true, so there is a little wobble in the action. As such, mounting the module was a bit tricky, but in the end… it is mounted.

Amazon.com: 200W Bluetooth Amplifier Board TPA3116,DAMGOO 100W+100W Audio Amp Board with LC Filter Technique,Dual Channel DC8-24V,Password Free Connect to Phone Quietly: Home Audio & Theater

A new LED bulb in the radio, some sliver argent spray paint, and wiring (which was pretty much plug and play using what was already there), I got it all mounted….

… and it works!

Audio fidelity isn’t significantly better than the single speaker, but it is loud and I get Bluetooth connectivity. When playing period correct music, it’s pretty cool.

The only downside is the radio knobs are a little wobbly (not horrible); which I think is due to the lack of structure in the head unit keeping everything tight.

Video:

Thanks for reading…
Greg

A5959C8B-D9F5-42AB-B32A-BE35CA8D2E1E.jpeg

727900AE-0971-437F-92FB-CB7CB425FB4A.jpeg

65B934B6-99F8-4D81-9A00-BF395F77456D.jpeg

E7872043-2821-4841-A20A-F61750F99626.jpeg

0210F077-C48D-4FB3-B7F5-8AF6C0F0820E.jpeg

535FF280-C61C-457A-8642-83EAF95DCCBB.jpeg

Great write-up and excellent DIY mods to your sound system.
Thanks, too, for the nod to my dual-speaker bracket. I'm always excited to see the results from another happy customer's installation.

Very nice! Aren't Jerry's brackets nice? I really like mine! He does a good job on those.

Very similar to the build I did. Works great i love it! I do have to find a better way to hide my speakers.
Great work you did an amazing job.

Now the way I understand it.....and I don't understand it.....is that now there's no AM/FM function anymore, right? ....and I'm not knockin it, I think it's a really nice upgrade. I'm just wanting that clarification. Thank you drive through.

Rob it seems he disabled the radio function by removing parts.

That's what I was thinkin, but I didn't know if the blootoof thAng might not have some feature that included a tuner.

Thanks everyone. I must say however, if it wasn’t for dartfreak75, I never would have thought of it. Now, I’m wondering if I can wire a small under seat 6” sub… :)

Now, I’m wondering if I can wire a small under seat 6” sub… :)

I've got a Kenwood self powered sub under the passenger side of my wagon, sounds plenty good. It's hooked up to a normal, aftermarket, modern head unit, though.

that is correct. No more radio functionality. It all streams from the phone.

Which is great until you cruise through an area with no cell reception.

I've got a Kenwood self powered sub under the passenger side of my wagon, sounds plenty good. It's hooked up to a normal, aftermarket, modern head unit, though.

Which is great until you cruise through an area with no cell reception.

Perhaps. It's still a really cool mod though, that brings the factory radio into the 21st century without changin the look. I like it......although you make a valid point.

We have many dead spots out here in the county where we live.....in fact, I can walk to the far end of the house and lose the signal.

Perhaps. It's still a really cool mod though, that brings the factory radio into the 21st century without changin the look. I like it......although you make a valid point.

We have many dead spots out here in the county where we live.....in fact, I can walk to the far end of the house and lose the signal.

Oops, never done that before... anyway

I Agree, I'm planning on a similar mod for the factory radio in the wagon.

It is frustrating that this great modern technology still has essentially the same old limitations.

-
Back