Projects you have on the list but keep putting off....

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It sits there....you have the stuff to do it but it just sits there.
You walk by it, knowing that you should just go ahead and dig in and get it done.
What project do you have in the garage that you just can't bring yourself to do?

Most of my cars! I kept buying rather than focusing on one. I have one or two driveable, while wrenching on the others, or gathering parts for them. I'm out of room, and have the ones I want to keep, so now it's just getting them on the road and putting on the miles.

I've got a pretty big job going on in the garage right next to where I park my work truck. I see it twice every day. Luckily, I've got a buddy who likes to prod me along and will even come over to help. Every time I see him, he asks what I've done to the Duster lately?

1704801515910.jpeg

IMG_4543.jpeg

IMG_4544.jpeg

IMG_4542.jpeg

IMG_4545.jpeg

Dig out the gyrocopter project and finish it so I can fly it. The bottom photo is of someone else’s, and it is ready to fly.

I’ve had my 67 Belvedere in my garage since I bought my first house 8 years ago. I’ve been at it much more the last few years.
IMG_7916.jpeg

Oh Lordy. KD, if you wanted to open a can of worms, I'm your Huckleberry! Let me count the ways...

Starting with this one that's been sitting on my lift up by the ceiling for, oh, I don't know, a year or so? I need to button up the engine and get it back together.

DSCN1110.JPG

Next up is this one, quick and easy fix to get it back on the road. I buggered up the gas tank, putting a hole in it. I have a new one, just need to get it swapped in.

20160910_124708(0)_resized.jpg

After the Valiant it's the Dart, the first serious project I got. It's all mechanically done underneath from the back bumper to the t-bar crossmember, but it got pulled out to make room for the (HAHAHA!) quick timing chain job on the truck above. Which turned out to be a full engine rebuild and other upgrades. The Dart is still sitting several years later. It's next on the list to get running.

DSCN0087.JPG

When the Dart is roadworthy, it will be this one. I don't know why this one speaks to me but it does. Many would be inclined to part it out and call it a day, it needs a LOT of work. It has no interior or floors at all, it runs and moves but no exhaust and the brakes are highly questionable to say the least. Tires are god-knows-how-old. Yet every time I think I should just simplify my life and part out all the dead junkers (only sort of including this one) I look at the other three parts cars and tally up what I'd need for this one. I can take four cars and make one good one. We'll see how my ambition level goes, I'm not getting any younger.

20220623_162428.jpg

To add to the drama above, my shop has turned into an absolute shithole. I have so much stuff in there I no joke have to slither sideways to get around or move piles of stuff to get at other stuff. It's horrible. If I could get that mess in order it would help immensely. And part of that clutter issue is all the parts gathered for all the cars, which take up space. If said parts were installed in the cars it would be a night and day difference.

So back to your original question. I've figured out a few things to help get this situation under control. First is the sad admission I'm not getting any younger, and what was super easy a few years ago now takes a lot more time, effort, and dedication. I'm nobody's idea of ODC or ADHD, but I realize I've fallen into the trap of starting a project, getting halfway done, and then thinking I'll set it aside for a short period while I knock out something quick and simple :)BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:). Haha, doesn't work that way - turns out nothing is quick or simple. Then lather, rinse, and repeat. I've decided to do triage and wrap up SOMETHING, starting with the quickest that will have an impact. Then move on to the next. If I don't get something done, I won't ever get anything done.

A few more thoughts. I might be guilty of underestimating the level of project I take on. All this stuff appears uncomplicated till I get into it and find it's taken far more to git-r-dun than I figured. I'm getting smarter here. Note to self, do anything you can to keep or make a car run and move. Pushing around dead dogs gets real old real quick.

Lastly is, I'm a one man army. I can get stuff done alone, but two people can get stuff done about five times faster than one guy alone. Plus it's nice to work with someone on a project. I'd be very happy to find a compatible wrenching buddy, swapping labor to work on each others' projects. So far, no luck in that department. Stay tuned for updates and say a couple of Hail Mary's for me.

Been working on it on and off for the last year mostly off because I work 6 days a week alot. Would like to get it going this spring but it probably won't happen. Have alot of home projects that need done also and thoes probably won't happen either.

20231207_120437.jpg

20231207_120100.jpg

Oh Lordy. KD, if you wanted to open a can of worms, I'm your Huckleberry! Let me count the ways...

Lastly is, I'm a one man army. I can get stuff done alone, but two people can get stuff done about five times faster than one guy alone. Plus it's nice to work with someone on a project. I'd be very happy to find a compatible wrenching buddy, swapping labor to work on each others' projects. So far, no luck in that department.
I'd like the same. I like this stuff and really enjoy the times with another car guy with the same mindset.
Recently I had a couple of buddies and their cars over here:

Dw and me.jpg

AA 6.JPG

IMG_3352.JPG

I really had a good time with that.

I need to find a disc drum prop valve, mount it on the frame, and make a couple brake lines. Then I can drop the engine in, put the bed on, install the fuel cell in the bed so I can run the fuel lines. Once I have the placement of the fuel cell in the bed I can drill for 2 bulkhead fittings. Feed and return.

This is a ‘74 W200 I’m making into a mild pull truck for the county fair. Plan to use the rowdy 408 I have that was for a light 2800 pound Dart. Wonder how it’ll work in a 5,000 pound truck. The combination could be totally wrong. I’ll find out. Lol

IMG_5641.jpeg

IMG_5572.jpeg

Such a soar subject!
70FCB24F-D82A-48D5-8BE7-47BCAE90AA3D.jpeg

Had to get the hull welded back up in the bow. Getting that done took all fishing season last year! Decided to pull the floor up to check out the gas tank and any corrosion underneath. Well the snowball just got bigger and project creep set in.
I’ve got the floors re covered and the plates are zipped up. I’m doing a topside paint coat whilst the outboards are off. She’s outside so it’s gonna go kinda slow…

F2346066-5EAF-496B-97B1-27C131A32513.jpeg

4B8F32B1-9A26-4C04-BD2C-58FA8983825C.jpeg

C5A0F324-FABC-48A3-9C49-6F416D29B59F.jpeg

E2BAE1B1-1B67-4DAF-BF8A-ECCA89F0D8E1.jpeg

A7A790DF-C6E7-499D-BA72-F57161EBA746.jpeg

25BEB7B9-83FF-469F-B9BA-96B7A175D2BB.jpeg
I’m shooting for July?!??

I suppose I this would be true for all my cars, but I'll point out my '79 Magnum. Yeah, it's suffered the most neglect. It's not so much that I'm not busy on cars (with what little car time I have.. lol), but my time gets spread out amongst the cars and the Magnum, well, it seems to get the least of my attention. We did put a 440 in it this past summer, though .... :)
1704845594876.png

1704845620661.png

Both motorcycles, and the barracuda. Cuda needs a gas tank, Buell needs to either be fixed or sold from the accident, and the Valkyrie just needs some trim work, but it's rideable. So I can at least take that to work in the summer.

Starting with this one that's been sitting on my lift up by the ceiling for, oh, I don't know, a year or so? I need to button up the engine and get it back together.

View attachment 1716189859

Next up is this one, quick and easy fix to get it back on the road. I buggered up the gas tank, putting a hole in it. I have a new one, just need to get it swapped in.

View attachment 1716189863

After the Valiant it's the Dart, the first serious project I got. It's all mechanically done underneath from the back bumper to the t-bar crossmember, but it got pulled out to make room for the (HAHAHA!) quick timing chain job on the truck above. Which turned out to be a full engine rebuild and other upgrades. The Dart is still sitting several years later. It's next on the list to get running.

View attachment 1716189861

When the Dart is roadworthy, it will be this one. I don't know why this one speaks to me but it does. Many would be inclined to part it out and call it a day, it needs a LOT of work. It has no interior or floors at all, it runs and moves but no exhaust and the brakes are highly questionable to say the least. Tires are god-knows-how-old. Yet every time I think I should just simplify my life and part out all the dead junkers (only sort of including this one) I look at the other three parts cars and tally up what I'd need for this one. I can take four cars and make one good one. We'll see how my ambition level goes, I'm not getting any younger.

View attachment 1716189867

To add to the drama above, my shop has turned into an absolute shithole. I have so much stuff in there I no joke have to slither sideways to get around or move piles of stuff to get at other stuff. It's horrible. If I could get that mess in order it would help immensely. And part of that clutter issue is all the parts gathered for all the cars, which take up space. If said parts were installed in the cars it would be a night and day difference.

So back to your original question. I've figured out a few things to help get this situation under control. First is the sad admission I'm not getting any younger, and what was super easy a few years ago now takes a lot more time, effort, and dedication. I'm nobody's idea of ODC or ADHD, but I realize I've fallen into the trap of starting a project, getting halfway done, and then thinking I'll set it aside for a short period while I knock out something quick and simple :)BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:). Haha, doesn't work that way - turns out nothing is quick or simple. Then lather, rinse, and repeat. I've decided to do triage and wrap up SOMETHING, starting with the quickest that will have an impact. Then move on to the next. If I don't get something done, I won't ever get anything done.

A few more thoughts. I might be guilty of underestimating the level of project I take on. All this stuff appears uncomplicated till I get into it and find it's taken far more to git-r-dun than I figured. I'm getting smarter here. Note to self, do anything you can to keep or make a car run and move. Pushing around dead dogs gets real old real quick.

Lastly is, I'm a one man army. I can get stuff done alone, but two people can get stuff done about five times faster than one guy alone. Plus it's nice to work with someone on a project. I'd be very happy to find a compatible wrenching buddy, swapping labor to work on each others' projects. So far, no luck in that department. Stay tuned for updates and say a couple of Hail Mary's for me.
So far, I have to say you win. This is going to be tough to beat.
Stay motivated my Mopar friend.

Good question. So back to racing the last two years, after not racing for 35 plus years. That's a good thing. Running a lot slower car than I used to, but having fun. This year I have noticed a new level of less energy and go, me, not the car, and wondering if that's as to be expected at this time in life, or my day's are numbered and I should wrap things up.

Still have my faster car that's been sitting for all those years, and a KB alum 426 unassembled sitting in the garage. Think about putting it together, but really need to have a garage addition put on on to make room for a lift to make it more doable, and less impact on my body, not to mention some more elbow space. Waiting on Dr.'s ongoing evaluation whether it's something I can likely get done or not. I believe nothing is promised, and all things considered, I've had a pretty good run in either case.

So many things, both automotive and non automotive. If I had some local help and motivation I'd get more done, but I guess I'm an asshole because nobody wants to come over. lol

I don't think I like this thread topic. Lol.

Not that I am lazy.... just old and wore out...I just get a little more tired'er and little more quick'er!!
Oh ya to answer the question... change out rear end, rebuild front suspension, install the engine/trans, brakes and exhaust.

:BangHead:

-
Back