Promatic 2 Install

-

subcom

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anybody have pics of how they installed this shifter in an Early A?
Trying to figure out how to mount it on the tunnel which is more narrow than the shifter mount flanges. Thanks!

I had one in my 74, there is one of two ways to do it. Either bend the tabs downward or shim under them with washers. It was the same way when I installed it, and I just put some washers under the tabs and bolted it down.

I know mine's not an early A, but I would think the same principal would apply.

Got a pic of it sitting on the hump, that might help for suggestions.

I elected not to bend the tabs because I was afraid it might throw the mechanism off.

I got mine on a '65. I believe I just cut the old stands and bolted the Pro-matic 2 to the tunnel. I used the old console, fit like a glove. Its been over 10 years as I recall.

Pishta I knew you would chime in. Thanks!
That is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. Use the original console.
I'll try shimming it like BadSport did. Thanks guys!

Updating my thread with some install pics.
I chopped up the factory floor shifter mounting brackets to accommodate the Pro Matic but left enough to still allow install of the factory console.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 240
I made a couple of notches in the front bracket to fit the corresponding tabs on the shifter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 238
I secured the shifter to the floor with screws into threaded rivets in the tunnel. The notches give it some extra support by locking it into that front bracket.
Cable goes through the factory hole where the original cable was.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 238
View before shifter install. I cut quiet a bit out of the factory brackets.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 216
Does the pro matic 2 shifter allow you to use a later model transmission? I have a 65 with the stock floor shifter,but no engine or cable trans, I would like to keep the nice little console and run a later transmission/ 360 combo. thanks for any help. Jamie in Ga.

Does the pro matic 2 shifter allow you to use a later model transmission? I have a 65 with the stock floor shifter,but no engine or cable trans, I would like to keep the nice little console and run a later transmission/ 360 combo. thanks for any help. Jamie in Ga.

Yes. Mine is a newer 727. In fact the shifter won't work with any of the factory cabled trans. Must be a 727/904 with the shifter arm. Hope this helps.

Heres what I did on my 66 Dart. It took a while to get the correct location so that it would work with hitting any of the console but I am happy with how it turned out. Once I located the holes and marked them I drilled holes so that I could put nuts into the drilled holes then I tacked them in place. Once I was satisfied with how it fit up and the spacing so that it sat straight in the console I welded the nuts in tight. I am still looking for some type of brush wipe to put into the console shifter slot. Any ideas there? Best of luck with your mount.
Rod

View attachment DSCN2488.jpg

View attachment DSCN2489.jpg

View attachment DSCN2490.jpg

View attachment DSCN2491.jpg

View attachment DSCN2493.jpg

Nice job Rod. You have a cool looking instrument cluster under the works also it seems. Would like to see that when finished.

-
Back