propane

-

zigs

Reaction score
Heres one for ya. Working in my yard yesterday , I have a big yard. I was upon .
one end of it by the highway, when I smelled this heavy propane smell. I thought it may be a propane car or truck
. my wife came up to me and said "my car
Smells like propane. Its a ford Edge. The
Smell was over whelming . I told her to take it to the Ford dealer . They checked it all out and found nothing and the car doesn't leak also has the smell of raw
rubber, none of the sensors are flashing
Anyone ever have this?

no idea

but...propane doesn't smell, it is an odorless gas
they add methyl meerkat to it to alert us to leaks

which makes me wonder, could there be anything else in that ford which is odorless and has the same thing added to it?

Was the car accessible to any passers by? Any traffic?

Could be as simple as kids throwing stink bombs, they use same/similar compounds as found in propane.

Yes propane is odorless. The first thing you think of when you smell the trace is propane or natural gas. I did a google last night to see if someone had a like problem. Not a bunch but had suggestions from cooling to tranny to rear end to catalist . she did fill the car with gas just before the smell occurred . Could be the sulfurs in the gas.

Reminds me, I had a customer once with a 'sulphur' smell, turned out to be a bad battery venting once warmed up. The smell was tough to track down since the battery was under the back seat! Had a little vent hose that ran through the floor.

A plugged or bad catalytic converter can stink too, but I've not dealt directly with that. A battery test is cheap and easy though.

Sorry I have zero advice. Is it still there? How close are you to a well traveled road or highway?

I wondered when you would chime in Del. Yes live on a corner but it wasn't a car on the road. I stuck my head in our car , it was coming from the car.
Today not so noticeable . Only thing I can think is we bought the car used last year ,owners may have used cheap gas , we use Chevron. Maybe the Techron
cleaned something out through the fuel system.

You guys use anything like butane lighters? I don't know if they have odor in them or not

My dad says butane is a bastard gas....

Bobby Hill - 0:24 in first video posted above...

I have no idea what that means LMAO. Many years ago, long before I ever imagined I'd spend some time in the HVAC/R trade, some of us were too stupid to know that butane reaches atmospheric pressure at close to the freezing point of water. This means, of course, if you leave 'em in your Kold Kar, the damn things don't work, unless you warm 'em up.

I don't smoke, but used to keep some around for emergency stuff and "when ya need" fire." I finally went back to matches LMAO

-
Back