Proper Coil

-

rays266

Reaction score
I see 3 coils available for my 69 /6 I do not want the 3.3 ohm primary res. coil as I am not going to bypass the ballast. Parts C819 and C838 (Wells) both have 1.5 ohm pr. resistance. however the secondary. resistance values differ. The C819 is 9.9k ohm, and the C838 is 8k Ohm. Whats the difference and the consequences if any?

I see 3 coils available for my 69 /6 I do not want the 3.3 ohm primary res. coil as I am not going to bypass the ballast. Parts C819 and C838 (Wells) both have 1.5 ohm pr. resistance. however the secondary. resistance values differ. The C819 is 9.9k ohm, and the C838 is 8k Ohm. Whats the difference and the consequences if any?
Without knowing the detailed specs of the coils I would say that you want as much current in the primary winding as your ignition system can feed. I.e. as low a resistance as possible without burning things. More current means more energy.

Regarding the secondary winding I am guessing that more resistance means more copper loops in the coil which means higher discharge voltage out.

If your old coil has a part number(oem factory?),cross it at a Napa or a O'Reillys....

1.5 ohm primary sounds a little high. I recall 0.6 ohm is factory, if using a ballast, but the FSM should state. It is very hard to actually measure such low resistances, and the value varies with temperature. Sounds like you are using points. I have one coil that looks like my 60's ones but stamped "for use w/ electronic ignition only". I took it off a Mopar engine 70's or maybe early 80's, but forgot. Don't know if a "ballasted" coil.

I had a very small misfire. Could be heard from the exhaust. Drove me crazy, as a straight six in my mind should run super smooth.
After exhausting my options on the ignition system, I decided to adjust the valve train. BINGO. #4 cyl. exhaust was too tight. That valve had to be open just enough to allow the combustion noise to enter the exhaust. What a smoothie she is now.
Thank you all for your input. This forum just keeps adding knowledge where it is needed.

-
Back