proper tire size for A body trunk well

-

1970b5swinger

1970B5SWINGER
Reaction score
I am trying to detail the trunk and when I put my rally wheel with a 225 70 14 tire in the well it fits great but it sits too high for the cover and vinyl to look right, what have you guys done to make it look right, I did'nt want to use the stock steel wheel but it is looking like I am

I dont think the wheel size is the issue. If the car came with polyglass tires they are much more narrow than radials.
If you bump up to large bolt pattern there is a temporary spare in a Lincoln Town Car that fits like a glove. For small bolt pattern I just don't know.

thanks redfish I think I will dismount the radial and try to find a good polyglass tire, sounds like the best option I have, gonna be kinda squirly if I do ever get a flat.

Assuming you have a 70 swinger, even if you put in a stock size bias-ply on a stock rim...... It will still stick up.

Same with my 68 Barracuda. I have the original E70-14 on a stock wheel and it sticks up.

The tire sticking up is how they came from the factory.

with the 225 70 14 radial on the rally wheel it sticks up about 2 inches above the floor. that is way to high to look good at all . I thought about letting some air out of the tire and carrying a can of air,but I dont think I would gain that much,I would like some pictures of how your trunk floors look

I use a 185/75R14 for a spare...seems to fit well with the cardboard cover...similar radial size to the original spare tire that was on my small bolt rims.

Assuming you have a 70 swinger, even if you put in a stock size bias-ply on a stock rim...... It will still stick up.

Same with my 68 Barracuda. I have the original E70-14 on a stock wheel and it sticks up.

The tire sticking up is how they came from the factory.

Yep, remember the same thing when I had a new 73 Duster with E70x14's. Have the same issue with my Demon now even though I have a narrower spare than the 60's on it now.

Dan
72_340_Demon:snakeman:

I have a '70 Duster with the original 6.95X14 goodyear spare on the 14X4.5" stamped steel wheel and it sticks up about 3/4 of an inch....the trunk cardboard doesn't fit flush with the surrounding floor....so the e70-14's would be worse....I guess the 6.50X13 was ideal...lol..hows your welding skills? maybe section in a piece of metal and deepen the spare tire well so your size fits flush. Maybe get some jute padding and cut to fit the surrounding areas so it matches the heigth of the tire when the trunk mat is installed.

-
Back