Proposed 400 bb build, cam recommendations

-
Told ally disagree. Let’s do some math…

600 (hp) divided by 400 (CID) = 1.5 HP per cubic inch.

A well thought out engine combination can do this. This is not exactly throw together parts from the bottom of the page. I would certainly invest the biggest chunk of change at cylinder heads!

I would approach this 400 only cube engine like a small block.
The best part being is the aftermarket big block head on s nicer than a small block head. A much higher ceiling of performance.
For a 340/360 @ 1.5 multiplication, it would equal 510/540 hp. A sizable cam it will need but not streetable? Well, that’s a driver/owner issue.

This can be done on 93 pump gas.

Build wisely!
The 400 needs high compression ( custom pistons) to deal with the size cam it would need, let's say a minimum of 255 degrees @.050 and a roller. Atleast 300 cfm of headflow. 600 hp in just a 400 will need to spin way up to make that power like 7000 minimum, a pretty damn high converter. That's not Brooks 600 HP stop light to stop light I don't believe he's go to driving a lightweight car either
I don't believe a pump gas compression 400 would be hitting 600 in the area of how he wants to drive, remember he wants nitrous too.
I'm going by what Andy f has tested .
Unless IQ52 has done it, I don't buy it.

Last edited:
The 400 needs high compression
Agreed. Not 13-14 to 1.
(custom pistons)
Disagree. KB still sells flat top hypers. Use with small chambered heads for a reasonable ratio.
to deal with the size cam it would need, let's say a minimum of 255 degrees @.050 and a roller.
Roller need not apply. If somebody out there (not you) thinks a cam of 255@050 isn’t streetable, please take off the big boy pants and out your dads shoes back where they belong.

Atleast 300 cfm of headflow.
Indy EZ heads. TF heads. Touched up Edelbrock’s maybe? IDK there.
600 hp in just a 400 will need to spin way up to make that power like 7000 minimum,
Really?!?! I have some people for you to meet. Besides, is 7K deadly territory? I don’t think so.
a pretty damn high converter.
A modern well built unit would work very well here. Speak with Lenny @ Ultimate
That's not Brooks 600 HP stop light to stop light I don't believe he's go to driving a lightweight car either
Well, he will make the call.
I don't believe a pump gas compression 400 would be hitting 600 in the area of how he wants to drive, remember he wants nitrous too.
I have some old friends I want to intro you to one day.
When they Liz’s there pants s laughing at you, you may come around a bit.
I'm going by what Andy f has tested .
Unless IQ52 has done it, I don't buy it.
Let’s take the other fellas out of this a minute.
Your not buying what?
A 400 B engine with good heads and a well thought out plan can not make 1.5 HP per cube?
If so, I’m done here and out.
Have - A - GREAT! - day.

Agreed. Not 13-14 to 1.

Disagree. KB still sells flat top hypers. Use with small chambered heads for a reasonable ratio.

Roller need not apply. If somebody out there (not you) thinks a cam of 255@050 isn’t streetable, please take off the big boy pants and out your dads shoes back where they belong.

Indy EZ heads. TF heads. Touched up Edelbrock’s maybe? IDK there.

Really?!?! I have some people for you to meet. Besides, is 7K deadly territory? I don’t think so.

A modern well built unit would work very well here. Speak with Lenny @ Ultimate

Well, he will make the call.

I have some old friends I want to intro you to one day.
When they Liz’s there pants s laughing at you, you may come around a bit.

Let’s take the other fellas out of this a minute.
Your not buying what?
A 400 B engine with good heads and a well thought out plan can not make 1.5 HP per cube?
If so, I’m done here and out.
Have - A - GREAT! - day.
On pump gas

Told ally disagree. Let’s do some math…

600 (hp) divided by 400 (CID) = 1.5 HP per cubic inch.

A well thought out engine combination can do this. This is not exactly throw together parts from the bottom of the page. I would certainly invest the biggest chunk of change at cylinder heads!

I would approach this 400 only cube engine like a small block.
The best part being is the aftermarket big block head on s nicer than a small block head. A much higher ceiling of performance.
For a 340/360 @ 1.5 multiplication, it would equal 510/540 hp. A sizable cam it will need but not streetable? Well, that’s a driver/owner issue.

This can be done on 93 pump gas.

Build wisely!
Your in box is full my friend.

And what is the maximum ratio on pump 93?
In your eyes.
Not everyone has 93 to start with, I'd say probably 11 -11.25 with great tuning, great cooling system, aluminum heads. 93 octane will work running around town but not at the rpm he would have to spin a stock stroke 400 to get 600 HP, running around town HP isn't 600.

Last edited:
And what is the maximum ratio on pump 93?
In your eyes.
For the sake of stopping this quicker, go back and read the op's 1st post. Does that sound like 600 HP ? Then look at post 21.
My posts are to give Brooks an idea of what he's in store for trying to build a 600 HP stock stroke 400, I guess the thing I'm forgetting is he wants to use nitrous also, which makes things alot simpler parts wise. I was thinking n/a & that's straight out of the max performance Mopar big block book.

Last edited:
He's in Florida. 11.1 plus on the street is just stupid.

I 100 % agree, I won't be running under 100 with 11.4:1 in my area .
That's my point 93 would be great for the parts Brooks has listed 9.5:1 with iron heads. But he ain't cracking 600 HP with that combo.

Not everyone has 93 to start with, I'd say probably 11 -11.25 with great tuning, great cooling system. 93 octane will work running around town but not at the rpm he would have to spin a stock stroke 400 to get 600 HP, running around town HP isn't 600.
Agreed and disagree.
Sorry, I quoted the wrong fella here. I was actually thinking I quoted fishmen
For the sake of stopping this quicker, go back and read the op's 1st post. Does that sound like 600 HP ? Then look at post 21.
My posts are to give Brooks an idea of what he's in store for trying to build a 600 HP stock stroke 400, I guess the thing I'm forgetting is he wants to use nitrous also, which makes things alot simpler parts wise. I was thinking n/a & that's straight out of the max performance Mopar big block book.
For the sake of stopping this quicker, my argument isn’t knowing or not what the op stated he wants nor is it to get him to do it but argue it can and has been done. Streetable or not is driver dependent.

Your saying it can’t be done. OK
Tell that to the NASCAR Dodge truck series team limited to a 9.0-1, 358 engine that makes over 700 hp.
And now I’m done here on that.

Now! If “I” were to look for a 600 hp engine and make use of a B big block, I’d look to stroke that 400 for sure. So, that ends my suggestion and point of view it on what to do with a B-400 block for the OP short block wise.
Only if you can’t feed it or cool it.

Agreed and disagree.

Sorry, I quoted the wrong fella here. I was actually thinking I quoted fishmen

For the sake of stopping this quicker, my argument isn’t knowing or not what the op stated he wants nor is it to get him to do it but argue it can and has been done. Streetable or not is driver dependent.

Your saying it can’t be done. OK
Tell that to the NASCAR Dodge truck series team limited to a 9.0-1, 358 engine that makes over 700 hp.
And now I’m done here on that.

Now! If “I” were to look for a 600 hp engine and make use of a B big block, I’d look to stroke that 400 for sure. So, that ends my suggestion and point of view it on what to do with a B-400 block for the OP short block wise.

Only if you can’t feed it or cool it.
I'm not saying a stock stroke can't make 600 HP at all. I'm saying the kb pistons you mentioned net 9.5 and that makes it much more difficult to get a useable 600hp
Nascar 358 isn't a comparison lol, 1 man's budget vs Chrysler corporation r&d lol not fair bud.
Agreed, stroked 400 is a much better and easier path to 600 HP.

I'm not saying a stock stroke can't make 600 HP at all. I'm saying the kb pistons you mentioned net 9.5 and that makes it much more difficult to get a useable 600hp
If that’s what you come up with, you need to be more creative.
Nascar 358 isn't a comparison lol,
Sure it is budget or not. They did it. Use your head.
1 man's budget vs Chrysler corporation r&d lol not fair bud.
Agreed, stroked 400 is a much better and easier path to 600 HP.
The Dodge teams, Chrysler backed, NOT Chryslers money or engineers, let’s not blur that line like it’s a fact here, just used the same MoPar parts in the same catalog that you used to get. Except the cam and possibly/probably the pistons, all the W9 stuff is still available I think. If your or anyone else’s wallet isn’t as thick as it needs to be for such an endeavor….. well, I’m part of that club so pull up a chair and I’ll duck behind the bar and grab ya a beer.

Affording the parts is one thing. Knowing what to do with them is a mountain size difference.

Your pushing the idea that this would require a ton of money and rpm. I have only one word for that….

NOT!

In fact, if you do the math the 400 B engine is a better bang for the buck over an LA engine, both running stock displacements. Stroker kits for the BB are cheaper to boot.

If that’s what you come up with, you need to be more creative.

Sure it is budget or not. They did it. Use your head.

The Dodge teams, Chrysler backed, NOT Chryslers money or engineers, let’s not blur that line like it’s a fact here, just used the same MoPar parts in the same catalog that you used to get. Except the cam and possibly/probably the pistons, all the W9 stuff is still available I think. If your or anyone else’s wallet isn’t as thick as it needs to be for such an endeavor….. well, I’m part of that club so pull up a chair and I’ll duck behind the bar and grab ya a beer.

Affording the parts is one thing. Knowing what to do with them is a mountain size difference.

Your pushing the idea that this would require a ton of money and rpm. I have only one word for that….

NOT!

In fact, if you do the math the 400 B engine is a better bang for the buck over an LA engine, both running stock displacements. Stroker kits for the BB are cheaper to boot.
Thanks, I don't drink or drug. I go to jail when that happens lol.
To be fair, no I'm not pushing it would take a lot of money to make the power & as we agree there's easier ways to get there.
Believe me the 400 is my favorite place to start.
I'm kind of tempted after my my 470 is off the Dyno to put back together one of my extra stock stroke 400 with the goodies off of my 470 just to see what it will do on the Dyno.
I'm just curious what you think peak torque would need to be & what compression,cam, intake and carb you'd need to get 600 ?

400 stock stroke, stock style forged pistons, blueprinted compression to 7.7:1, mildly ported iron heads with 2.14 1.81 valves 240 @ .050 cam ground on a 112 and a 6-71 on top over driven at 5%. There's your 600HP recipe.

400 stock stroke, stock style forged pistons, blueprinted compression to 7.7:1, mildly ported iron heads with 2.14 1.81 valves 240 @ .050 cam ground on a 112 and a 6-71 on top over driven at 5%. There's your 600HP recipe.
Well hopefully Brooks will go for that.
That's twice as expensive as a naturally aspirated 600 HP stock stroke 400.
Nearly $7k just for the blower, manifold, belts and pulley. A person could put ebay junk turbos on a stock stroke 400 for under 2500.

Well hopefully Brooks will go for that.
That's twice as expensive as a naturally aspirated 600 HP stock stroke 400.
Nearly $7k just for the blower, manifold, belts and pulley. A person could put ebay junk turbos on a stock stroke 400 for under 2500.
And that's what he'd have. Junk.

I have to ask....and respectfully, not smartass........do you even know what 600HP feels like
Respectfully answered Yes .800 hp Hellcat, and other cars in the 45 years I have been a Mopar fanatic
as stated previously. for me a 600 hp car is a guarenteed adrenaline rush

Last edited:
@rumblefish360
Yeah I guess building 600 HP 400 stock stroke is so easy everyone is doing it, lol.
Find me 1 n/a 600 HP stock stroke 400 with the kb 240 hypereutectic pistons. I know you didn't specify but that's the ones you meant.
I figured you'd have posted one of the many.... because it's so easy

LMAO - WHAT a Dick.

I’ll be ignoring your dumb *** for a bit.
You go on and enjoy your day now.
Goodbye!

LMFAOROTF

LMAO - WHAT a Dick.

I’ll be ignoring your dumb *** for a bit.
You go on and enjoy your day now.
Goodbye!

LMFAOROTF
Yep, just was giving you back your condescending smartass comments from the other day, don't give it if you can't take it. Just saying & I'm not a dick and I'm sure you're not.

@rumblefish360
Yeah I guess building 600 HP 400 stock stroke is so easy everyone is doing it, lol.
Find me 1 n/a 600 HP stock stroke 400 with the kb 240 hypereutectic pistons. I know you didn't specify but that's the ones you meant.
I figured you'd have posted one of the many.... because it's so easy
I'd start with an Indy 440-1 top end.
I wonder where the compression would land with that small combustion chamber.

I'd start with an Indy 440-1 top end.
I wonder where the compression would land with that small combustion chamber.
I was asking for actual already built 600 HP 400's
I'm sure the compression would end up around 11 to 1, but the fact is people aren't building stock stroke 400s for high horsepower because it is much easier to go with bigger cubes and have an engine that doesn't have to like on the ragged edge to make 600 HP and that kb 240 hypereutectic piston with those huge rings would be on ragged edge. That's my entire point since my 1st post on here about. It isn't easy, it doesn't happen with off the shelf stuff and for usable HP on the street as the op wants it isn't there till he's already beat.
But yeah in theory Indy 440-1 would be a great head, a tunnel ram and a solid roller cam, a great oiling system it would probably make more than 600, but again it's easier with more cubes.

-
Back