pros and cons of electric fuel pump for 225/6

-

nashvegas99

Reaction score
Ok, I've got the feeling that after a battery and using a small jug to get gas to the carb continuously...i'll be able to get Rosey fired up enough to get the timing close and then hopefully adj the carb. After that, i'll drop the tank and get a new sending unit to install w/ 5/16 hard line from the back to the front. So, what are the thoughts of using an electric fuel pump, one of the universal ones, and block off the mech fuel pump when running a 225/6? My plan was to get a universal one and mount close to the bottom of the inner fender well and use the rubber line to get it to the carb w/ inline filter. A little down the road, but I like to think ahead. thnx

Most electric fuel pumps don't pull fuel very well at all. They are designed to push fuel. That's why they are placed near the tank.

X2

You will burn it up in no time trying to pull.

Mount it at the back at a level that is lower than the sending unit so there is a siphon effect once it starts pumping.

Good practice to have a filter before the pump and one after.

Use a 10 micron then 100 micron filter element.

May need a fuel regulator as well if your running a non regulated pump.

Also need to be sure the pump has internal bypass or you will need to run a return line to the tank.

If you swap to an electric pump, don't get a cheap NAPA universal. You'll be sorry. What I would do is run something like this.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p74143/overview/

You will probably need to run a fuel pressure regulator, but that pump is a big bang for the buck. It's quiet and it will provide all the fuel volume you will ever need. You can even get a female pigtail to hard wire into your fuel pump circuit so you can plug it in like a factory unit.

-
Back