PS Pump Leaks at Fitting

-

scamp80602

Life Long MOPAR Man
Reaction score
This is a rebuilt (from Autozone) Saginaw PS pump. I also bought the replacement HP hose, while I was at it. The new HP hose flared ends and fittings look identical to the one that came on the car originally. Leaks like a sieve around the pump fitting. There appears to be no rubber washer/seal at the pump end. What am I missing???

DSCF0456a.JPG

Pump end:

DSCF0457.JPG

Box end:

DSCF0461.JPG

Thanks in advance!

The flared fittings are not supposed to leak........in years past, they usually didn't.........BUT, as it goes, with the slack quality control and mass production today, the parameters are just plain sloppy sometimes.......not like they used to be for sure.

On my Holley dual feed, we had to BEND the custom double fuel line before it would seal, from sheer pressure.......the thing started to twist......finally, it stopped leaking..............

Try to be absolutely sure there is no dirt in the fitting........and crank it down like a fuel line would be......if it still leaks, take it back.........

Without being there and looking at the stuff up close and in person, it's just too hard to say what's up.........but the quality today is just not with it........sometimes these things seal, and sometimes they just don't......fuel flares, brake flares, whatever........:banghead:

Thanks pastortom, I'll clean it good, and tighten 'er up good too when I re-install it. Hoping for the best - maybe I won't need to replace the hose!

The pump end is different and should have an 'O' ring.
Look again and notice the neck beyond the buldge that goes ib the middle of the ring. Reason is once the box end is where it is it doesn't move.
The pump moves with belt adjustment.

RedFish - is the O ring that goes into the pump end fitting readily available at, for instance, NAPA? Of course, there was no O ring that came with either the reman pump or the new HP hose. Also, there is a small O-ring that came with the hose. The only place that it could go is just above the flare on the steering box end - does that sound right?

Thats what I was going to ask, wheres the O ring at? Throw it on there and I bet it will stop leaking. Been there, cleaned the mess.

Yeah, clean up the flare good, and get an o-ring for the other end you picture there..........it's the same as the old A/C lines..........if you buy yourself an o-ring kit (comes with an assortment of all sizes) you'll have enough around to last you another 20 projects......they're cheap too.

...........and be careful not to overtighten it on the end with the o-ring........if you do, o-boy will be the result.....good and snug...don't crank it.........save the cranks for the flare. :happy7:

OK - just want to make sure: 1) pump end: no O ring on flared hose end, no washer in pump fitting, just torque it down like pastortom says. 2) Steering box end: O ring where RedFish indicates and don't torque it down, just snug it. BTW RedFish: A+ for graphics! Thanks all!

Just a quick update - I had that pump out a 2nd time and torqued the pump HP hose fitting real good, before I put it back in. Put it back in, leaked like a sieve AGAIN! Went to NAPA and bought one of their HP hoses. You could see the difference immediately on the flared pump end of the NAPA hose - more metal, wider, deeper flare. Put it in - 3rd time - no more leak! The Autozone HP hose is going back for credit. I'll be buying my parts at NAPA from now on! Thanks again to everyone for the input!

-
Back