PST lower control arm pivot shaft, dimpled bolt question.

-

purplehazenils

Reaction score
Im installing the pst lower control arm bushings and pivot shafts. As you can see in the pictures the bolts provided have three indentations on them. These stop the bolts from threading on easily by hand, when you use a wrench to tighten the bolts these dimples sort of lower the height of the threads.
Is this so the bolt will not become undone? Seems like it would be better to just use loctite since this ruins the threads? Thanks!

DSC_0211.JPG

DSC_0212.JPG

DSC_0213.JPG

DSC_0214.JPG

I am also concerned about the status of the nut that is supplied by PST . However , I am sure that if you contact them you can get a reasonable answer . Did you try the OEM nut ? My sources say to torque the nut to 145 ft.lb. AFTER the car is on the ground with the weight of the car on the control arm to prevent binding . I think that the nut you show in the pics would screw up the torque value big time . Just my opinion .

The dimples are to make them self locking nuts. This is so they will not back off on their own. Obviously, the dimpled side goes to the outside, or you would not be able to thread it on properly and chew up the thread

I do not like what it did to those first few threads. If it were me, I'd run a tap thru the nuts first, and remove much if not all of the swedging. If you're worried about the nut backing off add loctite. Be aware though, you'd be adding the loctite and torqueing the pivot nuts, after the car is resting with all four tires on the ground, and torsion bars are adjusted for final ride height.

PST is probably just covering their butts cuz some guy out there failed to properly secure his nuts, and then sued them about it. And they don't want a repeat. Pure speculation of course.

As stated earlier. The swedged/dimple go to the outside. These are to prevent the nuts from backing off. If you have any issue please contact me directly and I will get the issue resolved.

Thanks
James

I can't believe anyone is worried about those nuts backing off after they've been torqued to 145 ft-lbs. I mean, really. A lock washer and torqued to 145 ft-lbs should pretty much guarantee they never loosen up.

I guess it was a concern of Mopars. Both are NOS pivot shafts that I have in my desk at work one A body and one B & E. Both came with locking nuts.

KIMG1044.JPG

KIMG1045.JPG

Yeah but
The ones shown in post#1 are not the same as the ones in post #9.
I would sooner throw those supplied ones away and reuse the 45 plus year old originals.
The Mopar ones are lightly peened.
The supplied ones are,um, well,supply your own adjective.

Thanks for the input! Going to reuse the original ones as the threads are the same. Otherwise they are very nice pieces from pst.

DSC_0231.JPG

-
Back